Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rally pac questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

The 64-65 vs 66 is correct, it has nothing to do with they type of gauge cluster in the car. 65 GTs with the 5 dial cluster use the 65 RallyPac. Also the tach reads MUSTANG on the originals, not FORD. At least all the ones I have seen. The rallypac was available as a dealer accessory for other than mustangs and had the FORD script.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
The 64-65 vs 66 is correct, it has nothing to do with they type of gauge cluster in the car. 65 GTs with the 5 dial cluster use the 65 RallyPac. Also the tach reads MUSTANG on the originals, not FORD. At least all the ones I have seen. The rallypac was available as a dealer accessory for other than mustangs and had the FORD script.
good info with the dial. I've seen the "ford" rally packs in a F150 truck once.
Anyway, sacrametonustang (as mentioned before) carries every single type and model you can imagine.
The price is horrific, but original ones that don't work go for 200$ on eBay ...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

65 GTs with the 5 dial cluster use the 65 RallyPac.
Nope . The high profile was strictly dealer-installed if the car had 5-gauge cluster. The factory used the low-profile color-keyed units with the 5-gauge.

Now, a lotta cars had dealer installed 'Pacs, so it's easy to understand a lot of confusion. They also sold these over the counter by the thousands.

The high-profile is a real problem with 5-gauge clusters, because it was made to be mounted in contact with the steel dash below the Falcon-style speedo, the contour of the housing matches perfectly, and includes two rubber bushings to prevent squeaks. You have to shove these way up the column, though, on 5-gauge cars, because the top of the housing hits the speedo bezel, scraping the chrome off the bezel and chipping the paint off the top of the 'Pac housing.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

Am I a traitor to direct you to a thread from another Mustang forum? It's just that there is a lot of good information there that I don't want to re-write. Also, I attached a great pdf on that thread with lots of good information and images of Rally Pacs. I still cant figure out how to attach things here. I restored an original Rally Pac last year that included stripping and re-painting the case. It looks like new now. If you go that route, I can offer some tips on how to do this and a suggestion on a good wrinkle finish paint to use. Also, Gary the "Tachman" is one of the best at rebuilding tachs, including Rally Pacs.

http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/cl...rally-pac.html

http://www.tachman.com/index.htm
Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Nope . The high profile was strictly dealer-installed if the car had 5-gauge cluster. The factory used the low-profile color-keyed units with the 5-gauge.

Now, a lotta cars had dealer installed 'Pacs, so it's easy to understand a lot of confusion. They also sold these over the counter by the thousands.

The high-profile is a real problem with 5-gauge clusters, because it was made to be mounted in contact with the steel dash below the Falcon-style speedo, the contour of the housing matches perfectly, and includes two rubber bushings to prevent squeaks. You have to shove these way up the column, though, on 5-gauge cars, because the top of the housing hits the speedo bezel, scraping the chrome off the bezel and chipping the paint off the top of the 'Pac housing.
Well, I have never seen the 66 style come from the factory in a 65. I have delivery photos of our 65 when it arrived in Korea and the 65 rally pac is original and the car never saw a dealer. Its also on the invoice. Granted it is an early GT (June 1965) and an export car shipped directly from Dearborn through New Jersey Export Operations to Korea. Perhaps another case of the factory using up what they had before new stock came in for the 66s. The 66 rally pac would have been white to match the original lower dash/steering column color (its blue now). Ours is the 65 style, all black. Did not know about the contours of the 65 style matching up with the falcon IC, although ours fits fine, one gauge to either side of the speedo with the 'rally pac' logo just below the speedo bezel. When did the 66 rally pac start going out? Was it before the end of 65 production?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
2+2 if you look at the pictures the one you are calling the low profile one is actually sitting higher than the other. I think kalli had it right.
NO. The center bar of the early style is so high it blocks the lower part of the speedo. You don't have to believe me- measure them.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

When did the 66 rally pac start going out? Was it before the end of 65 production?
Well before, it was developed for the 5-gauge cluster. You'll find used ones in palomino (65) and parchment (66), bright red (65) and deep red (66) medium blue (65) and light blue (66), etc.

As to anecdotal high-profile units in 5-gauge 65 cars, why not? Common practice at dealerships, and if the factory didn't have a white one handy for a car, I doubt they'd hold up production until one arrived, they'd stick whatever was handy in the car.

I've been tinkering with these things since the 70's, when you could get them in working condition at car shows like Carlisle for $25.

…Perhaps another case of the factory using up what they had before new stock came in for the 66s.
Sure. They were selling cars, not making it easy for us. GT badges and styled steel wheels are commonly referred to as "65" and "66", but actually the "65" style of both was used until about the end of September 1965, two months into 66 production.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 05-21-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

ok im very confused now do i want the ones that have the rally pac bar or the 1s that are colored to the same as the dash to have a correct reproduction rally pac?(its a 65 with engine temp gauge,fuel gauge, and speedometer)
Old 05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if you have then long speedo then the 64-65 would be easier to the eye (the obne with the bar saying rally pac).
if you have a round speedo then the 66 style would probably look better as in our pictures above
Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

kk i have the stock long speedo so ill do that thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Rally pac questions