Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Got those Taylor plug wires in today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default Got those Taylor plug wires in today...

I'm not terribly happy with the plug wires. The pure silicone outer jacket is soft and doesn't seem as durable as the harder jacket on other plug wires I've seen, including the Ford Racing wires I took off. Sure, they're flexible, but it's easy to take a chunk out of one. And one of the spark plug ends doesn't want to stay on the spark plug. I think I got it to stick by crimping down on the end with some channel locks, but it may still rattle off. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Also, custom plug wires are a PITA%@# My hands freaking hurt. I had several ends pull off the wire on me and one of the wires is almost too short because I had to cut it down after I screwed up the end. Of course it was one of the shortest ones, so I couldn't just put it on another plug. Grrrrr.

In the future, I may pick up a set of MSD Super Conductors. I saw a set installed on a 750hp Barracuda this weekend (*drool*) and they looked ok.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:02 AM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

you see Tad, this is what happens when u dont come to the plug wire master (me). u have experienced first hand how i can work my magic on a set of plug wires and make them flow beautifully, harmoneously even. my wires are a symphony of organizational orgasm.

i had some plug wires pop off one day too, right as i nailed it on turri i had nasty backfire, thought to myself "not this **** again"

popped the hood and a couple of wires in the back were fondling my headers. i pulled out the trusty needle nose, pinched those bitches good, and they havent moved since.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

i run taylor spiral wires on all my vech,s never had any problems. i have the tool that you use to crimp the ends on when you make up your own so i dont have any problems with the ends coming off, before i use to use pliers and they would come apart when i tried pulling them off.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I run MSD 8.5mm wires. They are very good, but the multi-angle connectors can break on you after a dozen pull offs and back ons. I ran into that last week and had to order a set of connectors b/c I was out. A custom set of wires looks very nice and the MSD crimper is pretty easy to use. It does not take more than an hour to make a full set of plug wires customized. In general I am very happy with them. I do run heat sleeves on the boots though. They are not pretty, but they seam to keep the boots cooler. MSD also has red boots that are higher heat rated for circle track and endurance racers. I personally have never run them.