Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

8" "Clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Houndstooth
1st Gear Member

Default 8" "Clunk"

I hope someone can help me with this, I have searched through here but can't seem to find anyone with the same problem I am having. I am getting a clunk sound on deceleration usually when I am almost to a stop. It sounds like it is coming from the rear end (8 inch) but it is very intermittent, more common in the morning or when it has been sitting for awhile. I replaced the u joints and played with the pinion yoke when the driveshaft was off and it didn't seem like there was too much backlash. The shocks are new too. Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Gun Jam

I sometimes notice that clunk when I put the clutch in...I have a mostly new rearend from bearings to axles, gears and carrier...It only does it once in a while it must have to have just the right amount of load on it when I pop in clutch. I just figure its normal and from the diff unloading.

I wouldn't worry about it too much maybe change the oil in the diff if it hasn't been done. other than that nothing you can do about it any how if its original or has more than 50k on it. If it grenades then you know the diff was bad and replace all the parts...If you pull it apart to inspect and find 1 thing wrong with it then all parts have to be replaced anyhow...so unless you plan to drive it on a really long trip dont worry too much just keep an eye on it.

-Gun
Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

I was going to say U joints but you replaced them. I had the exact same situation with my f150.

You didnt say if it was a locking diff or open. My locking diff makes some noise on deceleration and clunks, I think that it is on its way out. I would also say it could be bad bearings/gears creating alot of backlash.