Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Restoration Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
HighSchoolBoy

Default Restoration Help!

Hello everyone well my name is Daniel. I currently attend high School and my shop teacher ownes a 1972 Mach I, Th eorginal car was great according to him, but he just got it back after a long legal battle, and the car was completely scrap. We have all o fthe old orginal parts in boxes in the class room but I needed to ask you all where to start. The car was bassicly brought down to the frame th eextreme frame. Their are no floor pans and some of the front frame mounts for the fenders and raditor are missing. My intentions with the car as well as my teachers in that we not restore the mustang back to factory but build a full blown drag race car such as sheet metal interior. stiff springs, his current engine is in a crate I believ it is a 405cu. Not psoitive though.
My major question is should I start with the fram building it stronger and back up?
Thanks
Daniel
Old 06-01-2009, 04:51 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

It's a unibody car, so there is no actual frame, the entire body structure of the car is a "frame". For a drag car, you could buy/build a frame and since the body is missing floors right now (and integral structural component) place the body on the newly built frame.

You might want to try to get some episodes of the TV show "Musclecars" which airs on SpikeTV, he took a '65 fastback and gutted it, built a frame and went from there. He built a road racer, but similar techniques would be used to build a drag car, just different suspension, weight balancing, etc.

Of course, all the items you need are available from the Mustang specialty parts houses if you choose to fix up the carcass and go from there ...... Or buy a donor car and transfer the best of the 2 to the one with the best body.