Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Random Thoughts on Restoration

Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM
jjmcnc

Default A couple more tips

Just came across this thread and it's got a boat load of great tips. Thanks! Adding a few more of my own.

- Add an inexpensive digital camera to your toolbox. I'd recommend one you can comfortably hold and use with one hand and has a built-in flash. Get a rubber or silicon 'skin' for it, as you will certainly drop it . Take lots of pictures before, during and after you do any work on your project. The more the better - you can always delete unwanted ones later.

- Get or re-purpose an old PC and some easy to use software to organize your pictures and catalog your parts. I use one called Collector Car Companion. Not only will it help you stay organized, but it will add value to your car when you go to sell it. You'll be able to show the buyer all the great work you did on the car.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

I might add, DON'T FORGET ABOUT YOUR WIFE OR SIGNIFICANT OTHER. Get them involved with the project in one way or another. Even if it's just to take pictures for you or whatever. If they really aren't interested, put the car on hold for a night/day/weekend once in a while to spend it with them. Take it from a guy that has been married 5 times, if you want to stay in their good graces this is very important.

As the great philosopher Jeff Foxworthy says: "If she's unhappy long enough, you'll be unhappy with half your stuff." And nothing sucks more than to have to sell or, worse yet give to her, your pride and joy that you spent ALL that time on because of a divorce.

Last edited by hiboostwoody; 10-22-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
protip:

Sometimes if the bolt wont break lose try tightening it slightly, often it will move the threads and rusted head enough that it will then come out much easier. If it has threads sticking out the other side of the fastener that are rusty, loosen, then tighten, then loosen, then tighten slowly working the bolt out without breaking it. The bottom bolts on the fenders are the worst, valence panels are next, and rear leaf spring bolts require some sort of cutting device. I prefer a sawzall.

PB blaster is the best penetrating oil I have found in 30+ years of working on junk.
Something I have found when using PB Blaster on rusted bolts. If you still are having trouble getting the fastener to loosen, spray the part again with the PB Blaster and then use a small propane or butane torch (something like a Bernzomatic or smaller) to heat the part. This will cause the PB to wick into the threads and then it will usually loosen like an unrusted bolt. PB Blaster IS flammable but it doesn't flash so it's pretty easy to control. Still, have a fire extinguisher on hand just in case.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 PM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hiboostwoody
I might add, DON'T FORGET ABOUT YOUR WIFE OR SIGNIFICANT OTHER. Get them involved with the project in one way or another. Even if it's just to take pictures for you or whatever. If they really aren't interested, put the car on hold for a night/day/weekend once in a while to spend it with them. Take it from a guy that has been married 5 times, if you want to stay in their good graces this is very important.

As the great philosopher Jeff Foxworthy says: "If she's unhappy long enough, you'll be unhappy with half your stuff."
One of the hardest things to do is leave your love afair in the garage for an evening to romance your Love!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by photocliff
One of the hardest things to do is leave your love afair in the garage for an evening to romance your Love!
But oh so neccessary.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 AM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

But oh so neccessary.
When you say you are going out to the garage and she gives you "the look" it may be time to take a night to rekindle the home fires.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

I enjoyed reading this thread. One thing I have found is when you get to a point where you just can't get whatever thing you are doing done... it really helps to take a break. Even a 30min break to watch a little tv, drink a soda, etc. will give you a fresh outlook. Instead of wasting hours not getting the project done, take a break and after the break you might just spot something you missed earlier.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HGC
If you are drilling...wear eye protection. If you are treating rust...wear eye protection. If you are doing just about any damn thing...wear eye protection. A Mustang looks a lot better when seen through two eyes.
If you are grinding...wear eye protection and a respirator.
Eye-Glasses are not eye-protection! I got more and more lax on the safety glasses and just wore my regular glasses for a couple years with just getting dust in my eyes occasionally. Then grinding metal I got a hot cinder in the eye-ball. Two days walking around with eye irritation and seeing a white spot/ghost whenever I looked left corrected this!(doctor confirmed)
You may get lucky and get away with it, but if a spark (or anything flying) can get around the glasses, IT WILL! I got lucky and it went away without real damage, but will never skip the wrap-around safety glasses or face shield for a 1-second job again!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:09 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

And nothing sucks more than to have to sell or, worse yet give to her, your pride and joy that you spent ALL that time on because of a divorce.
I think I'd have to kill her first.....
Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I learned the eye protection lesson the hard way too. Many years ago I was ripping a 2X4 on a table saw and a chunk came off and hit me square in the eyeball. A couple days out of work, plus a trip to the eye doctor and about a week of not being able to see out of that eye (bruised/scraped cornea). Now I dont turn on a power tool without some eye protection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Random Thoughts on Restoration