Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM
66tealstang

Default upper control arms

I have a 66 stang. 289 mild cam about 300hp. Stock new suspension. Everything was replaced new before I got the car. I wanted to perform the shelby drop and 1" lower springs. Would I be better off with using a tubular upper control arm if I am only going to be driving the car around town. I may take to the strip afew times. but not much racing. I am looking for better overall handling and performance. My options are stock arms and just drop spings and edelbrock shocks and roller purches. Or should I add control arms. Any help. and which control arms are better. Global west or Total control

Thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

i just got done replacing my stuff in my 65. grab a track kits from mustang +, 620 springs with half coil cut and the shelby drop. car isnt on the road yet, cant wait tho!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/streetupper/
Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM
KevinG

You could go either way as far as the control arms. Just pay attention to what you are buying. Some of them have the Shelby drop built into them by basically making them a little longer. You will love the performance when you are done.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I have a 66 stang. 289 mild cam about 300hp. Stock new suspension. Everything was replaced new before I got the car. I wanted to perform the shelby drop and 1" lower springs.
Excellent idea. Much better handling.

Would I be better off with using a tubular upper control arm if I am only going to be driving the car around town.
No. A waste of money for that use.

I may take to the strip afew times. but not much racing.
Shelby raced them with stock arms. While you are drilling the holes, put a couple of tack welds on the bushing caps.

I am looking for better overall handling and performance.
The 1" drop will do that.

My options are stock arms
Good.

and just drop springs
The 1" relocation will lower the front about 5/8". How low do you want to go?

and edelbrock shocks
Very good.

and roller perches.
Huge waste of money for very little gain.

Or should I add control arms.
No.

This car had the 1" drop, 1" front sway bar, and stock upper arms:

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Those roller perches are not a waste of money. Myself and several other people here can attest to that. I actually broke a nearly brand new shock last year due to side-loading of the piston rod, prompting me to invest in a pair of roller perches (my OE-style perches were only about a year old). Roller perches free up suspension travel, eliminating the bind at the crappy stock rubber spring perch bushing. This allows road shock to be transmitted straight to the coil spring rather than twisting the spring (and shock) sideways as the control arm moves but the perch binds up. Not side loading the spring and shock allow them to function as they were meant to. It makes for a much smoother, more responsive suspension.

No, roller perches don't improve handling like the UCA drop does, but they do what they're supposed to do very well, which is improve suspension response and ride quality (and keep me from breaking another shock)

66tealstang, I think you'll be perfectly happy with the stock UCA's. I drive my car very hard and I still have the stock uppers. They work fine for me. At some point I'll probably upgrade to the boxed/rollerized OpenTracker arms, but the stock replacement arms work for now.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
and roller perches.
Huge waste of money for very little gain.
Most people seem to agree that roller perches are a big improvement
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
66tealstang

Well thanks everyone. I just ordered the drop kit from Daze and 1" drop springs (620), and rollerized spring seats from mustangsunlimited. I will try that out first. I will try it for a while and may cut 1/4 coil after it settles. I want to see what the front looks and feels like befor I get into the back. Not sure about mid or rev leaf spings for the back or how stiff I want it. I will be getting the edelbroks with that purchase. Tanks again I will take some befor and after pics.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:07 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Since the spring saddle, rubber or roller, is held square, or NOT square, by the bottom of the spring, I don't see how a roller bearing changes this. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I just don't see a rubber bushing twisting the tangential end of a 620 pound coil spring.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Twisted it enough to break my shock...

Quick Reply: upper control arms