Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rebuilt control valve, too much play in ball stud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 AM
JC6715

Default Rebuilt control valve, too much play in ball stud?

Just returned from the alignment shop where I was told there was too much play in the ball stud where the pitman arm connects to align the car ('67 Coupe, power steering) properly. They pulled me into the bay and while one turned on the wheel the other showed be how much wiggle there was in the ball stud area (the castle nut is tight, it's the ball stud and slider that has too much play). There's about a 1/4 to half in of movement when the car is off the you're rocking the steering wheel. The valve was rebuilt by yours truly so there is a decent chance I did something wrong.

I followed the directions to a tee and laid everything out in the order it came out and replaced in the same order.

Any body have any experience with this that could give some guidance on where to start looking. Obviously the valve needs to come apart, but what should I be looking for specifically?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC6715
Just returned from the alignment shop where I was told there was too much play in the ball stud where the pitman arm connects to align the car ('67 Coupe, power steering) properly. They pulled me into the bay and while one turned on the wheel the other showed be how much wiggle there was in the ball stud area (the castle nut is tight, it's the ball stud and slider that has too much play). There's about a 1/4 to half in of movement when the car is off the you're rocking the steering wheel. The valve was rebuilt by yours truly so there is a decent chance I did something wrong.

I followed the directions to a tee and laid everything out in the order it came out and replaced in the same order.

Any body have any experience with this that could give some guidance on where to start looking. Obviously the valve needs to come apart, but what should I be looking for specifically?

Thanks guys!
I have rebuilt many of these. If the engine was not running during this "demonstration", they are either incompetent or thieves. The PS system requires up to 800 psi to keep the spool centered, and with the engine off it's about 800 psi short of being able to do that. Either way, you need to find a better shop in the future.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM
JC6715

Originally Posted by chockostang
2+2GT is 100% Correct!

Either this Shop has uninformed, non educated Mechanics on the Early Ford Systems, or as GT says Your getting the Big Green ---Well.
Yeah, the tech was really nice and admitted he didn't know whether or not there was supposed to be movement and said he didn't want to align it and have me waste my money... He may have been ignorant in terms of the workings of early ford systems, but at least he admitted it.

Good info guys, thanks. I'll be sure to ask some questions next time before I bring the car in.