Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Gas Cap Lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:29 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Default Gas Cap Lock

I would like to be able to lock my Mustang's gas cap. I really want to keep the OEM style cap, since I think it looks the best.

I have seen the locking one, but don't think it looks nearly as good.

Has anyone used this? I am going to try it out. How does it install?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...?T1=C90J30H+01
Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 AM
daragez
1st Gear Member

i never use and try this!....
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

I'm worried about you, dude. Last week you were looking for ways to lock your hood, now its your gas cap.

Do you not have a garage to park it in at home? When I bought classic car insurance for my Mustang, Hagerty Insurance required me to park mine in my garage.

When you're out and about, do you leave it unoccupied long enough that people would mess with it?

Maybe I'm just too trusting.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The reason I want to try to lock it up as best I can with out going too overboard is because we have a lot of time and money in it now. Even if insurance covered some damage etc. I don't want the car messed up or have to redo stuff.

It does have a garage that is is in most of the time. It is parked in front of friends houses etc for extended periods of time though. And I do take it to cruise ins etc and sometimes it is left unattended. I have had friends with other classic cars that were sabotaged so to speak by people screwing with them when it was parked right in front of someones house. I just want to do what I can to prevent butt heads from messing with it. I figure if any of these small things keeps one person from doing something its worth it.

The main thing is I want to be able to drive it somewhere and not worry so much about it when I cant see it.

I know that most people don't do stuff like that, but the few that do are too many for me.

That trunk access gas cap lock is only a few bucks.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 06-08-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

are you worried about people stealing gas or putting something into your gas tank. My 69 has a drain plug in the gas tank so a locking gas cap will do nothing to prevent theft of gasoline.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm worried about people putting something in the tank. Mine has a drain plug too. I'm not worried about that. The fuel can easily be replaced.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Venomus68
1st Gear Member

I think I'm going to get that lock as well seeing how my car is going to be close to a daily driver. I will be driving it to school everyday my jr. and senior year. I though about changing over to the hood locks with the keys, but I think I am going to put a remote hood latch inside the car so it keeps the look of the pins and keeps unwanted people out!! As for the gas cap, I don't believe anyone will do anything but just incase why not...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I ordered it, so it should be here soon. I just thought it was cool because I can keep my good looking stock gas cap and its inexpensive. I'll post back when I see how it installs.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I got the gas cap lock installed. It was easy and I think its a cool little setup.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Good choice. I've looked at that myself a few times and will likely order it sometime. Our car will be a daily driver, parked outdoors nightly and in my wife's office parking lot daily through the week. I know a number of people over the years who have had crap poured into their tanks by vandals and for 12 bucks I say great idea.

Mike.. What type of setup are you going with for your remote hood latch? This was something I've been thinking of but have been busy with other areas to give it much thought yet.

Quick Reply: Gas Cap Lock