Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
desdain

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Fastback

Thanks for your comments. I'll post the results as they come in...
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
desdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
desdain

Okay, I got the wheels balanced and it seemed like the guy had to add a lot of weights to them. Anyway, the balancer showed perfect and I took the car out for a test drive. Long story short, no fix. If anything it seemed like it started vibrating a little earlier (at 55mph).

Next I'm gonna put it up on jack stands run it up to 60mph on the speedo and then start removing stuff until it stops vibrating (first wheels, then discs, then drive shaft, etc.). With my luck this is something that only happens when it under load :-(

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited by desdain; 06-11-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

I had a bent axle once...

Its easy to check for take the wheel and drum off and placed a fixed indicator of some type so the point just touches the flange. A center punch C clamped to a solid free standing object works well.

Rotate the axle and watch the point if the axle flange runs into or away from the point you have a bent axle...I could clearly see the runout on the axle using this method...it was .009" out of round and was very noticeable. I bet this could be your issue.

-Gun

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
dagamore
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Mustang GT

My father had an old truck (1976 F150) that had a nasty vibration to it from 45-65mph, it was a failing Ujoint. It might be worth it to look at them.
dagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
desdain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
I had a bent axle once...

Its easy to check for take the wheel and drum off and placed a fixed indicator of some type so the point just touches the flange. A center punch C clamped to a solid free standing object works well.

Rotate the axle and watch the point if the axle flange runs into or away from the point you have a bent axle...I could clearly see the runout on the axle using this method...it was .009" out of round and was very noticeable. I bet this could be your issue.

-Gun
Quite possible, they were pretty bad, but we were able to fix them to the point of ~no wobble. It's down to 0.05mm now, but I'll probably have to replace them during this coming winter, I just want to get is "pretty good" for this summer.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
desdain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamore View Post
My father had an old truck (1976 F150) that had a nasty vibration to it from 45-65mph, it was a failing Ujoint. It might be worth it to look at them.
Yeah, this could also be an issue. The front u-joint is new, but the rear is the old one. It looked okay though, and now that it's been tacked into place, it's hard to replace. I think I need to borrow a good driveshaft from someone and try it before buying a new one.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

wait....what?

You were able to fix them? as in the axles were bent and you made them straight?

how many mm did they run out before you fixed them?

How did you fix them?

-Gun

P.s a 1/2 mm is .0196" runout it was pretty bad at .009" (inch) in my case and .002" is maximum allowable

Reality check!!! you are 194 thousandths above maximum allowable runout
dont mess around replace both axles and bearings.

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966, Mustang
JP Acosta
Send a message via AIM to boeing747arowair

on my 6 banger one of them was out of whack. Extremely hard to find replacements. threw the sucker on a lathe and made them a bit better. Obviously difficult if you dont have the machines or tools

'96 Mustang GT
O/R H Pipe
BBK CAI
Steeda UDP
Flowmaster Original 40's

'66 Mustang Sprint
200 CI
C4
boeing747arowair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
Gun Jam

just to make sure you fully appreciate the axle situation let me state it this way...

you are 9700% above tolerable upper runout limit

I hope I have reached you

-Gun

Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
desdain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
wait....what?

You were able to fix them? as in the axles were bent and you made them straight?

how many mm did they run out before you fixed them?

How did you fix them?

-Gun

P.s a 1/2 mm is .0196" runout it was pretty bad at .009" (inch) in my case and .002" is maximum allowable

Reality check!!! you are 194 thousandths above maximum allowable runout
dont mess around replace both axles and bearings.
We quickly heated up the "concave" side of shaft and it pulled it self more or less straight, but not enough heat to compromise the integrity of the steel. Then we also milled the flanges straight.

Btw. it's 0.05mm not 1/2mm, so that's 0.00196'', which is less than the maximum allowable 0.002'' you mentioned.

Thanks for the continous feedback. It's really appreciated.

Last edited by desdain; 06-11-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
03, 1967, 50mph, 60, axle, c4, driveshaft, ford, mustang, shaft, t5, trans, transmission, vibration, wc, wobble