Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Default Motor Mount

I seem to be havig an issue mounting my engine. I dropped it in but have it on the cherry still because it does not seem to line up 100% with the bolt holes.
I kind of assumed the motor mounts on the engine would need to align with the engine frame mounts. Is this a correct assumption? If this is a correct assumption I would then think a bolt is put clear through to hold them in place? This leaves about 2inches of dead space, which I do not believe is correct.
Do I need something like this? http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...-Kit,1199.html

Any information would be of great help as I am fairly close to have the engine in the car and running!
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm confused, what problem are you having?

Loosely bolt the motor mounts to the block, then drop the block down until the mounts just sit in the frame brackets. There are two ears with holes on each mount that line up with corresponding holes in the side of each frame bracket. A large through-bolt goes all the way through each mount and frame bracket. There should be no dead space in between the mount and the plate on the frame bracket.

You may have some trouble lining the holes on the mounts and brackets up. I usually do, anyway. Make sure you cut off all the excess rubber on the underside of the mount beforehand. A large drift pin may also be necessary.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The motor mounts should bolt up all the way on the block. Then the motor mounts should bolt all the way onto the frame brackets. There should really be any dead space as you say there is. Are you sure that there isn't something binding?

When I converted my 65 from I6 to V8, I tried the 66 up mounts that everyone recommended. They didn't fit all that well. Most of the problem was the frame brackets. I ended up going with RMP adjustable motor mounts. They fit great and allowed my headers to fit much better.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

A picture would probably make it a bit easier to figure it out.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
The motor mounts should bolt up all the way on the block. Then the motor mounts should bolt all the way onto the frame brackets. There should really be any dead space as you say there is. Are you sure that there isn't something binding?
Originally Posted by Starfury
Loosely bolt the motor mounts to the block, then drop the block down until the mounts just sit in the frame brackets. There are two ears with holes on each mount that line up with corresponding holes in the side of each frame bracket. A large through-bolt goes all the way through each mount and frame bracket. There should be no dead space in between the mount and the plate on the frame bracket.

Thats what I talking about. There should not be any space inbetween when resting on the frame bracket. The motor mounts DO NOT bolt correctly. By this I mean in order to get the through bolt to go all of the way through there must be at least 1.5-2inches of space inbetween the motor mounts and the frame brackets... That is my issue.
So what I was wondering is if I need those things I posted in my first post to take up the space inbetween.
*edit* If this helps any the motor appears to sit too low on the frame brackets.

Last edited by Flash70; 06-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I think we really need a picture. I can't think of anything that could cause there to be space in between the mount and the frame bracket.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

I will post a photo in like 30mins. Hopefully you guys will still be online
Old 06-10-2009, 03:55 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

There were two different smallblock mounts, the C6OE (2257) and the C7ZE (2286). All late 66 cars had the 2257. All 67s had the 2286. After that it gets weird. Especially since the 2286 is not available from any source. Since the 2257 kinda-sorta looks like the 2286, all the manufacturers have superseded the 2286 with the 2257. They DON'T fit. Your best bet is to re-drill your brackets to work with the 2257.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

now as you can see the space between the bracket and the motor mount. the blue gel is just some grease I put on a little to make it slide on easier as I was having problems with it chipping my paint any ideas? oh and that is lined up
Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The motor mount should be sitting down on the frame bracket.

Are the frame brackets original or repops?

Quick Reply: Motor Mount