Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Dynacorn Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
"just lift out" .. lol. It's a lot of work but its not that hard. Don't both with spot weld drill bits though. I personally hated them and used a few 3/8th" (iirc) drill bits. LOTS of drilling as there are 200 plus spot welds.
if you're talking about the spot weld drills that look like little hole saws, yeah don't bother. the ones that look like a mill with a little tip are awesome. they do a much, much better job than a drill bit does. a point-tipped drill bit will probably do a pretty decent job as well as long as the actual drilling part is flat. i don't like using regular drill bits since they end up drilling through both pieces of metal before the weld is cut.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cfd2bc
I installed one on my 66. It was supposed to be a 1 piece, but came in 2 pieces. I had to weld it together then install on the car. It really fit right on with no problems whatsoever. It is a big job and kind of scary at first cutting that thing out, but in the end was not that hard.
Yeah, there are about 154 welds holding the cowl.

How are you dealing with the difference in the wiper holes between your 66 cowl and the Dynacorn 64-65 cowl?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
sbertram

Yeah I know that its not going to just lift out...but just making sure there is not any extra steps such as cutting anywhere. I plan on removing the vents on top and making the cowl solid, since I am going with a new air system. Thanks for the help guys...if anyone has some pics of them removing the entire cowl i would love to see them.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
"just lift out" .. lol. It's a lot of work but its not that hard. Don't both with spot weld drill bits though. I personally hated them and used a few 3/8th" (iirc) drill bits. LOTS of drilling as there are 200 plus spot welds.

The one piece unit is quicker however I suggest getting the 2 piece. This allows you to get some stainless steel grill and weld/body adhesive it to the inside under the cowl vents. Helps to keep most of the larger leaves, pine needles, debris, etc out of the cowl. Well worth the added work imo.
Plus you can prep the inside of the cowl as you wish before it is forever closed together. Follow the mustang monthly job, that's how I did mine. It was a big job, not hard just cosmetically a big job and scary. But then again, there was a lot of things like that for me. Go for it.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcoby
the ones that look like a mill with a little tip are awesome. they do a much, much better job than a drill bit does.
How long do those bits last? Will they need to be sharpened or have to get several new fresh ones during the drilling removal process?
Lynn
Old 06-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I'm fairly sure we used 2... maybe 3 regular steel/metal drill bits for the cowl. Had no issues with drilling all the way through. Just take your time and the work great.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
How long do those bits last? Will they need to be sharpened or have to get several new fresh ones during the drilling removal process?
Lynn
they seem to last as long as any other drill bit. use a little cutting oil and enough pressure and it'll probably do 500 holes or more. you want to cut the metal, not scrape it.

i can't say for sure since I haven't worn mine out yet. I used the hole saw looking ones and drill bits to replace the quarters and finally bought the mill style bits to replace the radiator support and front crossmember. i couldn't tell any difference in performance between the first cut and the last one. i probably did 30 - 40 cuts.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 AM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

The wiper holes lined right up. Didn't have to do anything special there. As for the spot welds, I tried a regular drill bit and a spot weld cutter. The cutter worked better than the drill bit, but mine dulled pretty quickly. I went through a couple of those 12 dollar babies. I also found with the cutter or drill bit I still had to go back and use an air chisel in spots to seperate the cowl.

Sbertram, follow my photobucket link that ends in 202 for pics.

Last edited by cfd2bc; 06-15-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
wareagle
1st Gear Member

adrenolin...."This allows you to get some stainless steel grill and weld/body adhesive it to the inside under the cowl vents. Helps to keep most of the larger leaves, pine needles, debris, etc out of the cowl."

what a great idea, i never thought about that. glad i read this before starting... is this what most of you do? do you have any pics of the finished product, is it really noticable from the top?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
ThongsareSweet
1st Gear Member

cfd2bc what Dynacorn's did you purchase. Is it for a 67 but fit your 66? Good to hear it Lines up with the wipers I was wondering. Iam getting ready to fire the hose through it to see if its leaking through the firewall. I Have a rusted out Toe kick so I think my cowl is rusted through somewhere. This does sound like a scary job and looks like there is no room for mistake

Quick Reply: Dynacorn Cowl