Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car shakes when reving, Just curious?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Car shakes when reving, Just curious?

Ok... I understand it's a V8 and it will shake the car... BUUUT... Bare with me here. I don't have a Tach so I'm just guessing... When I rev it to say like 1K RPMs in park *I'm pushing the peddle in like an inch maybe two and half or three* and I hold it there the whole car starts to shake side to side like a mini earthquake; when the door is open it causes it to shake like it's going to fall off.

Is it just shaking like this because the car is parked? Or do I have to replace the mounts?... Or something else maybe?

I'm just curious. This is my first classic and I'm still learning.

I appreciate the help!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The engine shouldn't shake that hard your motor mounts are probably bad.The easy test is have some one put it in drive holding the brake rev it up then do the same in reverse as you watch.If it jumps around your mounts are bad.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Okay, Thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Gun Jam

I would check plugs.

Sounds like maybe its not getting fire on several cylinders.

Could be some serious internal issue or some type of flexplate/damper wheel balance issue as well.

check plugs first

-Gun
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

check plugs, plug wires, timing, points, carb & choke, compression. even if your motor mounts are bad it shouldn't shake like that. it's probably misfiring like Gun says.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Since this happens with the car in 'Park, it can't be wheels, axle shafts, or driveshaft/U-joints, and I don't think it's the transmission internals either. I'm thinking no further back than the torque converter.

Bad plug wires.
Plugs wired in the wrong firing order.
Bad harmonic balancer. If the inertia ring has spun, the ignition timing would be off.
Mixture on one side of the carb way off.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-14-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

alright, thanks for the check list. I hope the engine is alright. I really don't feel like performing an engine swap... BUUUUT.... I guess If I had to, I could look for like a 351W.... but that's getting ahead of myself... Really though I hope it's just needing new plugs and wires and mounts.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Had the engine sat for a long time without running before it started this? Sometimes they'll act up like that for a bit untill they've been run again. I didn't drive my truck for about a month and half and when i hopped back in and took it for a drive it was like the whole thing was about to shake apart. I took it out on the highway for a bit to get it smoothed out.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

When I bought the car, the guy had told me it had been sitting for 6 months. He had been slowly restoring it, but lost interest... or something to that effect...
Old 06-14-2009, 06:56 PM
MrBills68

Thats what I went thru... It had been sitting for about a year and wouldn't start. New starter and solenoid got it started but in the end I ended up replacing the plugs, premium plug wires, threw out the points for a pertronix ignitorII and flamethrower coil. Then realized the carb was gummed up, so a rebuild of that. Now she starts up just fine.

IMO don't trust too much from the guy you bought it from.

Quick Reply: Car shakes when reving, Just curious?