Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

my distributor wont go back in

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default my distributor wont go back in

im trying to get my distributor back into the block and ive been able to get it in 3 or 4 different times before but not now. im trying to fire my car for the first time since taking the engine apart and it was back firing out the carb so i turned the distributor 180 degrees around but now the distributor wont go in all the way. it goes in all but a 1/4 inch. the gear engages but it just wont sit down. i tried to hammer it in but it wont go. any ideas?

Last edited by knuckless; 06-16-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Don't hammer it. It is not lining up with the oil pump driveshaft. Look down the hole and you'll see it, it's about 1/4" wide and has a hex head like a bolt. It's either sitting off to one side or not properly oriented with the distributor. Tape a socket on the end of a long extension (tape it on good so it can't come off) and try to turn it little bits at a time until the distributor seats.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Also, when you get it in to the point it wont go any more, try rotating the crank slightly and it will engage and drop in. Don't hit it with a hammer, you will break the housing.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

well i tried both those sugestions. still isnt dropping in. is the driveshaft from the oil pump supposed to move around freely? i mean it goes back and forth to both side and doesnt sit in the middle. is it supposed to be tight in there or just wobble around? cuz mines wobbling and i dont think thats good
Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by knuckless
well i tried both those sugestions. still isnt dropping in. is the driveshaft from the oil pump supposed to move around freely? i mean it goes back and forth to both side and doesnt sit in the middle. is it supposed to be tight in there or just wobble around? cuz mines wobbling and i dont think thats good
Wobbling is totally normal. Press down on the distributor (stay away from the center shaft!) and hit the starter. It'll drop right down, unless you had the oil shaft out and installed it upside down. The top end is pointed.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

ive got the pointed end on the top. i know that much. and i tried the starter trick about 8 times but it didnt drop. ill keep trying all the ways to get it in

i want to get the car fired for the first time but i cant try it with the distributor 1/4 inch out because if the oil pump isnt engaged with the distributor will it not pump oil?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by knuckless
I want to get the car fired for the first time but i cant try it with the distributor 1/4 inch out because if the oil pump isnt engaged with the distributor will it not pump oil?
Right. Pull the distributor out and check it with another shaft. Could be the hex hole in the bottom is buggered and the shaft can't go in.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

sometimes i need to let a motor spin over a quite a few times, make sure you got the correct o-ring on it, that its not to big. one thing i suggest.... put the cap on. put it in as far as it will go down. have someone spin the motor over, and u push hard down on it. it will pop in if its all correct.......dont forget there is 2 different size shafts/dizzys
Old 06-16-2009, 06:17 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

i got it in after turn the motor over a few times and then just leaned on it and it went in. its backfiring out the exhaust now and not starting so i gotta get a timing light
Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Your probably 180 degrees out now. You'll have to pull it again and reinstall.

Quick Reply: my distributor wont go back in