Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

72 floor

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
orange88
1st Gear Member

Default 72 floor

Just ripped the seats out, wondering what you guys thought about the floors. I Figure definetly need a new seat bracket for the drivers side, passengers not sure.
Also i have been looking at floor pans at CJ Pony and was wondering what you guys thought about the different lengths. I asked already but thought with pictures it might help.

So what do you guys think?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I put in the full length floor pans on my '66.

My thinking was that if I was going to mess with it then I was going to be sure and get all of it. I probably could have gotten away with just the short pans in the front however. I talked to a friend of mine about patching a few spots but his suggestion was if they are rusted through then the metal in a good amount of the surrounding area can't be much better and a patch would be a temporary band aid type of fix. So I figured what the heck, if I was going to deal with it then I preferred to deal with it only one time.

On mine, I didn't even attempt to save the seat risers. With the time it would have taken to separate the old ones from the floors I figured it was cheaper to buy a couple of new seat risers.

I also replaced one of the toe boards while I was at it but the other side looked a-ok.

Looks like you have a pretty good sized hole at least on the one side in the back seat as well just judging by the last picture.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:18 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You can get full-length floors for the 71-73, looks like you'll need them.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 PM
orange88
1st Gear Member

Yeah thats what Im thinking. Also kinda dumb question but what are the floor pieces in the rear called, the ones like imediately in front of the wheel well called? Correct me if im wrong but the floor pan will go right to where it kinda bumps up, then there is a piece behind that?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by orange88
Yeah thats what Im thinking. Also kinda dumb question but what are the floor pieces in the rear called, the ones like imediately in front of the wheel well called? Correct me if im wrong but the floor pan will go right to where it kinda bumps up, then there is a piece behind that?
You cant get those. You can make them or cut them from another car, but you have a 72, nobody makes that part. I did the full floor rather than sides. You will need full length floors, doing the one piece is easier if you remove the windshield and shove it through there. Im going to be doing more to the 71 in the next few weeks, hopefully have it assembled and painted by sometime in July. Check the link in the sig for an idea of how bad it can be. I will start a thread on the 71 build, since it will go quick, later this month. You can maybe get some ideas from the work I gotta do.

The lead pic reminds me of when I first pulled the last few shreds of carpet from the Pit of Despair. Same color, same condition, same amount of crud, everything... Welcome to the dark side.. we have cookies.... somewhere.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM
orange88
1st Gear Member

wow, yeah it looks like you have a bit of work into it and still ahead of you. So you suggest making something to fit there?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Wait, did you take these pics from my hard drive? Mine was the same way except the carpet pulled the metal out with it so it left huge holes where the floor was. The seat risers for 71-73 are ridiculous expensive. They're $80 a piece. I made my own using plate steel and made channels esantially for them to bolt to. Strong as hell. And are reinforcing on the car. I thought about maybe saving some money by modifying 69-70 platforms but was skeptical on they're intial fit. I used long floors and rear floors and kept the tunnel because it was still good and didn't have the money to shell out for a full floor, but it would be the way to go. The rear floors don't butt up right against the wheel wells no. I have about a 2" gap between them. SAVE your rear seatbelt bolt mounts. They do not make them any more. Unless they are totally shot them you could maybe make some ouf of steel stock and nuts. Or if they do make them and I just don't know that.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
orange88
1st Gear Member

Yeah I was able to save 1 seatbelt mount, but the other is DONE... Gonna have to make the other one. I think I can save the passenger seat riser, but the drivers is toast. So its either $80 or make em... hmm.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by orange88
Well, Glazier's calls the RH piece the "G10750 66-70 RH rear floor Extension (under seat)", but it'll fit the 71-73, the little ribs are just a little different. You can also get the seat belt anchors.