Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 Mustang headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

Default 1967 Mustang headlights

I was thinking of getting these.
Are these basically plug and play?

http://www.cal-mustang.com/MUSTANG-H...1729C2487.aspx
Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

yes thats exactly what they are. they take away the headlight with the enclosed bulb and allow you to have a headlight housing and change the bulb when necessary. i have headlights just like this but i switched the xenon bulb to H4 HIDs with ballasts and they are awesome. kinda retromodish but i like them for safety
Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
flickjo68
1st Gear Member

They look like they have the same plug in on the back of them as the stock ones so I would say yes. Dont quote me on that though. They might be able to tell you if you call them...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 PM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by knuckless
yes thats exactly what they are. they take away the headlight with the enclosed bulb and allow you to have a headlight housing and change the bulb when necessary. i have headlights just like this but i switched the xenon bulb to H4 HIDs with ballasts and they are awesome. kinda retromodish but i like them for safety
Oh nice. Where can I get H4 HIDs? Yeah that's exactly why I am getting them too. For safety. I can't see crap at night when I drive my mustang.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xian67
Oh nice. Where can I get H4 HIDs? Yeah that's exactly why I am getting them too. For safety. I can't see crap at night when I drive my mustang.
haha yeah i know what you mean. well you can either go on ebay and get dozens of different sellers selling on there. or find a website to get them on. just make sure they are H4 HIDs and i recomend bi-xenon. this means you have both hi and low beam HID lights instead of just normal (and less expensive) H4 HIDs with only low beam xenon and hi beam halogen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...#ht_3515wt_968

heres the place where i bought mine from. 6000k or 8000k are good temperatures to go with. but like i said you may want to find a more reputable dealer then just ebay. ive never had any problems with my HIDs though
Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

you probably have to upgrade your harness if you want it to work to its full potential.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

no there is no need to upgrade your harness if you use the HID, the ballasts comes with a harness that connects directly to a power source (i used the battery side of the solenoid) and they also plug directly into the light plug so that when you turn your lights on it senses it from the plug but draws current from the battery.

if you just use the xenon lights in the link then yes youll need to upgrade the harness to get better voltage
Attached Thumbnails 1967 Mustang headlights-headlightrelay.jpg  
Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

If you want to be able to see good at night get a pair of headlight relays like these and a pair of Sylvania 6024XV Xtravision bulbs. If nothing else make sure you have a pair of 6024 halogen sealed beams and not just sealed beams. It should say on the front of the bulb if its halogen.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...rly_bronco.htm

I have this setup on mine and I think it works better than the headlights on any of the other cars and trucks we have.

You can also make your own relay setup or get one from RJM Injection Technologies I think its called.

The headlight switch in a classic Mustang is not designed to carry the load of the halogen sealed beams since the car came with regular sealed beams. The harness will allow full voltage to get to the bulbs.

All those blue tinted bulbs do is give you a whiter light that appears brighter by filtering out some of the usable light. They actually reduce the light output. It just seems brighter because it is whiter. Blue bulbs are junk.

You could get those head light assembies and use better bulbs.

Also, Retrofitted HID is usually illegal and not DOT approved, because the headlight housings are not designed for HID and produce a glare to oncomming drivers.

I don't like HID anyway. Just like the blue tinted bulbs that give off a whiter light they produce what I call false colors and in bad weather they suck because the blueish white light scatters.

Also, We have a Nissan Maxima that has factory HID and I would really prefer to convert it to halogen. HID is not all its cracked up to be.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 06-19-2009 at 08:35 AM.