Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My supposed "rust free" car

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default My supposed "rust free" car

Well... I said when I introduced myself that the guy I bought the car from said the only major rust was on the back window... BOOOOO-HOHOOOOYY! Was he wrong or... Lied...

I pulled up the carpet and found to my saddened surprise...

The whole floor board needs to be replaced. Driver, passenger AND backseat... *sigh*... Lucky I can get floorboard from mustang unlimited for like 50 bucks a piece... yay them...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

theres no such thing as a rust free classic mustang :P
Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
theres no such thing as a rust free classic mustang :P
So it seems. But... I always wanted a classic, and what better way to make it more mine then rebuilding the thing right?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Wow those are pretty bad, did you not have a chance to look at the car before you bought it? Shoulda been able to see that from a mile away.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

woohoo check that out, free duracel battery on the far left.

just kidding, sorry about the floors but yeah like you said now you get to build it yourself
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangtjk
Wow those are pretty bad, did you not have a chance to look at the car before you bought it? Shoulda been able to see that from a mile away.
...I plead the 5th...

But yea, I did... I just didn't look UNDER the car... or carpet for that matter... rookie mistake... I know... but I'm a rookie and I just "HAAAAAD" to have it because it ran and drove and just needed "afew" thinks to be road worthy... and look what it turned into... a complete restoration job YAAY!... BUUUT Again.. It's a classic and I should have been more observant... But I had been wanting a Classic mustang for some time... since I was 15 to be exact... and It WAS to good to be true... Lesson learned.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

How does one tell, without ripping up the carpet, if the floorboards are rusted out? I mean, that kind of sucks if you're looking for one and the owners tell you that you can't go ripping up the carpet to see if they're telling the truth or not.

But honestly, if the floorboards are that rusted and nothing else on the car is - he must have fixed rust elsewhere. I'd much rather replace floorboards than rust bubbles :\
Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
How does one tell, without ripping up the carpet, if the floorboards are rusted out? I mean, that kind of sucks if you're looking for one and the owners tell you that you can't go ripping up the carpet to see if they're telling the truth or not.

But honestly, if the floorboards are that rusted and nothing else on the car is - he must have fixed rust elsewhere. I'd much rather replace floorboards than rust bubbles :\
I mean, yea. The rest of the car just looks like a lot of surface rust. I kinda wish I had one of those backyard buddy car lifts so I can get under the car and wash off the dirt and crap and see how bad it is under where you CAN'T See unless it's lifted. I do know there is a lot of grime under there...
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by Canary94GT

screwdriver ice pick etc
Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Then there will be the matter of the cowl. The rusty floors may have (probably did) come from a a rusty leaky cowl.
Look on the bright side. Looks like a great way to check the inside of the floor support rails.
By the way, my floors looked great from underneath but I ended up cutting out a rusted section and replacing it. It was the weld from the toeboard to the floor. It had been patched with aluminum and then undercoated.

Quick Reply: My supposed "rust free" car