Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

need help with rotissere

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Default need help with rotissere

Me and my dad just bought a rotisserie kit, it's mostly pre-assembled for the most part and just bolts together at the rotating cross member and leg L-frames. The problem is that it gives no direction on how to attach it to a vehicle. I think this is probably for liability issues. I have never used a rotisserie before and need some advice on the best and safest way to attach a 67 fastback. I've heard of welding the rotisserie right to the frame but I'm almost positive this kit is intended to bolt to the car. I would assume The rear bolts on where the leaf springs connect, but I have no idea what to do on the front end. This is all assumption on my part, if anyone has used a rotisserie on a late 60's mustang I would appreciate any advice. I thought I'd come and ask here before anything else. If needed I can take some pictures of the rotisserie later and the adapters it comes with. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

If the frame rails are structurally sound, it's best to go there, if they are not, fix them first.

This setup attaches to the shackle hole. Alternately, you can go to the rear bumper bolts, but structural soundness is even more critical if you go there:

This shows the brackets attached to the front bumper bracket holes:

Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
If the frame rails are structurally sound, it's best to go there, if they are not, fix them first.
Amen to that.

Even if you have to add some temporary bracing (which is probably a good idea anyway). If the car twists or bends as you lift or turn it, either visibly or enough that the doors don't open and close, stop and add appropriate bracing.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-19-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Amen to that. Even if you have to add some temporary bracing (which is probably a good idea anyway).
Yeah. Notice the rear view shows a gas tank top installed as a stiffener for the rear end.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Yeah. Notice the rear view shows a gas tank top installed as a stiffener for the rear end.
Actually it looks like the gas tank is just bolted in upside down.

Lynn
Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 PM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mlager8
Me and my dad just bought a rotisserie kit, it's mostly pre-assembled for the most part and just bolts together at the rotating cross member and leg L-frames. The problem is that it gives no direction on how to attach it to a vehicle. I think this is probably for liability issues. I have never used a rotisserie before and need some advice on the best and safest way to attach a 67 fastback. I've heard of welding the rotisserie right to the frame but I'm almost positive this kit is intended to bolt to the car. I would assume The rear bolts on where the leaf springs connect, but I have no idea what to do on the front end. This is all assumption on my part, if anyone has used a rotisserie on a late 60's mustang I would appreciate any advice. I thought I'd come and ask here before anything else. If needed I can take some pictures of the rotisserie later and the adapters it comes with. Thanks in advance for any help.

Where did you buy the rotisserie at and what did you give for it? I have a 67 Fastback too that Im about to start on thats going to need some major TLC
Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

When I made mine I bolted it to the front bumper bolt holes but put about a 2 in spacer between the bracket and the frame so I would be able to sand blast and paint behind the bracket. On the rear I mounted it to where the rear bumper bolts to the body and ran some bracing through the trunk and tack welded it to the floor. I am actually going to relocate my rear bracket to the leaf spring bolt holes so i can do body work to the rear panel. The only other bracing that I put in my car was in the door jamb but I put that in after it was lifted and only because I had to cut off my roof and replaced it.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
Actually it looks like the gas tank is just bolted in upside down.
I took that photo myself- it's a tank installed normally except the bottom half is cut off. Notice they left a couple inches for stiffness.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I attached the rear of mine at the bumper mounts. I didn't even bolt the front on since I have built a custom frame I just stuck the forks of the rotisserie into the frame rails but that info probably isn't very useful lol.

I built the rotisserie myself out of some used scrap steel that was laying around. I should have made it a little taller or the height adjustable but it was just something I threw together in an hour or 2. It got the job done though and it was free.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice, I'm probably going to have to go with the frame rails on the front because the integrity of the bumper bolts is less than perfect, what is the best recommended placing and attachment method for going right to the frame rails? Thanks again for all the help, btw 1965screamer, I'm not sure of model and brand but it was around $800 plus shipping, i'll take a look this week and give you some more info