Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New member with a 67 build..resto-mod or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM
philthy

Default New member with a 67 build..resto-mod or not?

Greetings from rainny south Florida! I just recently acquired my 4th classic mustang..a 67 coupe. I have restored all the others and just did what I wanted too because they were nothing too special. However this time Im not too sure which way to go so im asking advice/opinions. So here's the deal...

I found this car through a friend of a friend sitting in his back yard for about 5yrs. His father was the original owner and that would make me titled as the 3rd. Im more of a resto-mod type guy but this car still has the original 289 motor, trans, doors and build tags, 2bl carb, air cleaner, intake, all buck tags, shock tower stickers (in great shape), plastic fomoco overflow and windshield washer bags (also in great shape). Orginal paint (thats pretty much shot) and the rust isnt all that bad from what I can see so far,,but it will need some new sheet metal.

The car also has some options like disc breaks, map lights, floor console which BTW is all there and not cracked up! My wife wants to put it back to factory specs but I want to use a 90's roller motor FI and 5 speed as well as chassis and a lot of suspension and break work. But I really dont want to destroy the value or uniqueness of a complete car by doing this. Any opinions on that?

Oh I bought the car for 1000.00!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

Do you still have the other 3?

On one hand, if its in shape they are getting rarer, on the other, its just a coupe.

If you still have one non numbers matching you could mod that. Or, if someone is going to pay $$$ for a numbers matching car, chances are they will pay for a fastback.

screw it, mod it, stock sucks lol
Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

ps post a pic

and pps, welcome aboard!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Silverblade
I agree, I'm no car collector so I couldn't care less about #'s matching, all original, bla bla bla... If I buy a car I'm going to drive it not lock it up in a garage somewhere. And if I'm going to drive it I'd want something with good performance and comfortable, stock doesn't have either.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Not everyone on here is going to agree with that.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

keep it original. pep up that 289 if you want. keep it carbd.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:19 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

if its numbers matching resto to original. if it ain't, go wild.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
philthy

Do you still have the other 3?

On one hand, if its in shape they are getting rarer, on the other, its just a coupe.

If you still have one non numbers matching you could mod that. Or, if someone is going to pay $$$ for a numbers matching car, chances are they will pay for a fastback.

I wish I did still have them..or at least my first car. when I was 14 my dad bought me a 70 mach1 off the side of the road for 1500 bucks. The car was in bad shape but still a real mach. We fixed it up as a father n son project then 2 weeks after paint Hurricane Andrew came and our roof feel on it!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM
philthy

Well I feel most of you out there. the word "stock" isnt in my vocabulary. But I have enough respect for the vintage american auto not to bastardize a rare one. Not that a coupe is all that "rare". But I have never had one that was numbers matching and still had all the litte things that it came with like the buck tags on the intake and those plastic reservoir bags that always rott off.

I hear so much about numbers matching cars I thought I would get some opinions before I hack the floor to put in a T56 You never know there could be someone out there who is trying to make an original looking car and would appreciate it more than myself..then maybe a project swap would be in order. But if its just "another one of those cars" then no harm no fowl and the money starts to spending!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:50 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

philthy your in miami?

Quick Reply: New member with a 67 build..resto-mod or not?