Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cant figure it out...still wreaks..

Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What is the ignition setup and plugs/gap? And are you running the out of the box tune that Edelbrock has on the carb? It's probably rich.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Does your trans have a vacuum modulator on it? Pull the hose and see if it's wet on the inside.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

i pulled off the hose and its dry. u mean just wet around the edge to see if it is moist? nothing, dry as a bone. anyway the hose comes straight off the manifold. not from the carb.

as for the pcv hookups, just want to make sure those are correct, i have the driver side i have a small filter and on the passenger side, i have it hooked up to the back of the manifold as well. just wanted to confirm that.

re plug size, its correct, i ordered from mustangs ultd and they are the auotlite ford plugs. regarding timing, 14 adv should be on idle? or at 3000rpm?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

i messed around with the idle misture screws but thats not the issue, the car will idle OK. my concern is the smell and the smoke. again it only smokes on idle and accel and decel not while driving. what does this tell you? something is telling me timing....what should it be on idle and what should it be on 3000rpm? you cant adjust the carb so im assuming that i should try and rig it so that i get more spark to burn everything..
Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CyprusMustang
timing mark is on 14 and when the car is idling, its dead on 14 all the time. it idles beautifully but not so well in drive. ive heard better.
Does this mean that you're watching the timing as you, or someone, revs up the engine and the timing remains at 14? If so, then there's a problem with your distributor. It's not advancing the timing.

This is not related to your smoke problem but it is something that needs to be fixed.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CyprusMustang
i pulled off the hose and its dry. u mean just wet around the edge to see if it is moist? nothing, dry as a bone. anyway the hose comes straight off the manifold. not from the carb.

as for the pcv hookups, just want to make sure those are correct, i have the driver side i have a small filter and on the passenger side, i have it hooked up to the back of the manifold as well. just wanted to confirm that.
Pull it off the modulator and look at the inside of the hose. It doesn't matter that it runs to the intake...if the mod leaks, you suck trans fluid into the motor.

This is correct.(pcv)

The smoke tells you that you are burning (or not burning) something. You need to find out which. If it is coolant, it would be white and smell...."sweet". If you dump too much fuel and can't burn it all, (running rich) it will be black. I think in your case, if it is oil, it would be grey, almost white.

An intake gasket not sealing could be a cause for water or oil. (just a thought)

Last edited by Stepman; 06-20-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

funny thing is im not losing any oil or any water. ill check the inside of the hose to make sure tranny fluid is not being sucked into the motor. never thought about this.

the smoke is not black its white or grey, cant tell the difference. i do believe that its all fuel related either running too lean or rich or not enough spark.

before i go tearing everything apart, what should i test? could this all be bad timing?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

it doesnt smoke while driving at a constant speed, just acceleration, decel and idle. what does that say? also, my coolant and oil levels remain same. im going to check the tranny hose now and come back to you. is there any other test i can do to check to see whats going on????
Old 06-21-2009, 04:59 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Ok I did some more tests today, i took out all the sparks and checked compression again, all between 142 and 155. so I know the rings are ok....all sparks (some more than others) had some liquid on them. Im almost sure it wasnt oil but probably some gas (normal when you shut the car off). all sparks were clean and had no oil residue on them (i only ran the car 40miles or so with new sparks anyway).

I checked the line to the tranny, there is no oil in it but when i stick a screw driver in the tube and wipe it with a white paper towel, there is black residue on it. Not alot but also not a little.

Today was a bright sunny day, when the car starts up, i cant notice the smoke coming from the tailpipes, however I do smell it. It smells sweet and you can even taste it in your throat. when I give it accelerate, you can see a cloud of smoke come up from behind. its not alot very faint. then on idle I cant see anything.

I tried tightening all valves to make sure they were tight, i checked all mainifold bolts to make sure they are tight, i also checked coolant levels and oil levels and they remain the same for the past 200 miles.

Im thinking, could my pcv valve be letting oil into the manifold somehow very slightly? i will check that tube as well a little later but any more suggestions would help......
Old 06-21-2009, 01:54 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

anyone? i checked pcv valve on passenger side to the manifold and it seemed a little lubricated, not sure if its oil or its just gas from the manifold. not that much.

im losing my mind..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cant figure it out...still wreaks..