Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cant figure it out...still wreaks..

Old 06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

ok im now beginning to think the engine is running way too rich, when i remove the passenger side pcv (that goes to manifold) car will die, this should not happen?

how can i lean out my engine?? i believe this is the problem..... ive checked things over and over................HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEE ELLLLLPPPPPPPPP
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

OK. Im sure you have tried to answer this question a few times, but.... Are your plugs gapped correctly?

Before you answer: You can change the gap in your plug just by tapping it on something. Closing the gap or using a gap checker to open the gap up. When you buy new plugs you should allways check the gap to see if it is correct. The plugs you got from the first guy at the auto shop probably would have worked just fine if you would have gapped them correctly. So please check the plug gaps to see if they are correct for your engine application.

If you can get your hands on a vaccume gauge you will be able to tune your idle really easily. By just tuning until you have the highest vac. at a specific rpm. (probably 700-50) I dont think that is going to help your smoke problem though. You probably want to check your timing advance too like someone said earlier.. You may have a couple of things going on that are adding up to give you this problem. The PCV valve thing is another boggling problem. It may not be working correctly and needs to be replaced if you say it dies when you pull the line off.

Does it stay running if you plug the line after pulling it? It should.

Happy Hunting.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

hey booger, when i bought the car, the pcv was hooked up totally wrong. the passenger side had a filter on it and the driver side was hooked up to the manifold. I asked 10 people regaring this when i pulled the engine and they all said its wrong.

as for the advance, im spot on with idle (14 advance) but it kinda stumbles when i accelerate between 2-3000 rpm and then after 3000 it runs smooth again.

im gonna buy a vaccum guage and a plug gap tester thingy and ill come back to you. let me know what you think regarding the pcv.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Do you actually have a pcv valve in the line? Little canister looking thing pluged into the hose and then into the top of the valve cover. It doesnt really matter which side is hooked to which as long as your PCV is to the manifold or carb..
Old 06-22-2009, 11:39 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

hey booger, on passenger side i have an elbow that plugs straight into the valve cover and on that is a hose which goes straight into the manifold. no acual valve as you say. just direct hose.

in driver side, i have a pop on filter.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CyprusMustang
hey booger, on passenger side i have an elbow that plugs straight into the valve cover and on that is a hose which goes straight into the manifold. no acual valve as you say. just direct hose.

in driver side, i have a pop on filter.
No PCV valve? It's sucking oil then. A PCV valve regulates the airflow. I doubt it's missing as this would indicate a lean condition and wouldn't change when pulling the line from the valve cover. Unless the filter on the other side is plugged up. You either have a major issue here or you may be missing (not seeing) the valve somewhere. If the valve truly is missing, installing one will cause a need to a carb adjustment as the idle circuit will be totally off if it's setup with no PCV valve.

Or did any of the oldies just use a restrictor instead of a PCV valve? Someone less out of touch needs to correct me if needed.

Just for giggles you can plug the vacuum line off on one side as long as the filter is open on the other. Drive it and see if there's a change in smoke. You want to make sure the filter is breathing to keep blowby pressure from causing issues with seals and gaskets.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CyprusMustang
hey booger, on passenger side i have an elbow that plugs straight into the valve cover and on that is a hose which goes straight into the manifold. no actual valve as you say. just direct hose.
This would give you VERY low manifold vacuum, which the carb would read as wide open throttle, and provide full rich boost, causing the engine to run rich, which I said days ago.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
This would give you VERY low manifold vacuum, which the carb would read as wide open throttle, and provide full rich boost, causing the engine to run rich, which I said days ago.
Its ok.. We'll get cyprus running right..

Check the "elbow" if it looks like you have a spring or some type of check ball inside it its probably the pcv valve. They sell them at most of the auto parts stores, go pick one up anyway, they are pretty cheap.. Get that sorted out and have your PCV working and then we can tune the car properly.. Like these guys said, if you are sucking in engine oil then you will be stinky and will have smoke..

Get the plug gap keyring thing too, they are .99 cents to check your gaps. And if you get the vaccume guage you can tune the carb in a few minutes. I got mine at harbor freight.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

White smoke can also mean you are running lean. Or have a blown gasket somewhere.

Check your gaskets. Also it doesn't seem like you're timing issue has been fixed, even tho it has been mentioned multiple times. You better get that fixed before you break something serious.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Got myself a pcv valve, it was late last night but i managed to put it on. carb needed readjusting, i messed around with it (by ear) and managed to get it idling properly. now when i pull the pcv it doest die on me. the missfire it had somewhere between 1000 and 3000 rpms has gone away too. I havent driven it yet but i will need to get that vaccum guage.

im gonna check the gaps this weekend as well as adjust everything, hope all goes well.

only thing is, it sounds awesome in park but when i throw it in drive, it doesnt sound as good. will this clear up when i adjust the idle with the guage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cant figure it out...still wreaks..