Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Squeek Squeek

Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default Squeek Squeek

My entire suspension is brand new. Polyurethane up fronts are already starting to squeek! What bushings are normally the squeekers so i can replace with rubber?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Polyurethanes will ALWAYS squeak, that's the trade off for the added stifness. Most of the time if you moly lube them you'll be fine for a few months.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

UCA, LCA, upper and lower coil spring insulators, and strut rod bushings (although you should never use poly on those). Poly sway bar bushings don't usually make much noise.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

You can't hear the squeaks at 60 with the windows down.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
UCA, LCA, upper and lower coil spring insulators, and strut rod bushings (although you should never use poly on those). Poly sway bar bushings don't usually make much noise.
If you have poly strut rod bushings, I hope you have a good medical plan. Poly strut bushings are nothing but trouble.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I've been running poly on my strut rods for years without issue. Don't over tighten the nuts on the strut rod and overcompress the poly, not giving it enough space to move around. And I wouldn't be so certain that them snapping has anything to do with poly, it's a structural steel rod which bends and flexes a great deal, if the strut rods are snapping then it's because the steel reached it's failure point, probably because it had been overtightened so that it passed the yield point and wouldn't return to normal tension, and every time after that it was tightened it just stretched farther, until it finally failed under a load.

And poly squeeks and rides stiffer, the trade off for keeping the suspension more positively located.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Apply some silicone based dielectric grease on and inside the polyurethane bushings. Do not use any type of petroleum based grease.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:31 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Polyurethanes CAN squeek but usually doesnt. My entire suspension is poly. not a sound. poly makes massive sound if parts are loose tho
Old 06-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Poly squeaks. Factory upper A arms have a grease fitting that's only reachable with a special grease gun extention that most garages no longer carry, and aftermarko sway bars don't have grease plugs at all. One guy posted that he drilled them in and cut a grease channel in the bushing.

I looked extensively a few years ago and could not find a vendor that made real rubber bushings.

Sorry, I don't have a solution to offer except to use silicone grease like Adrenolin said and add teflon tape to your sway bar.

It's like a bunch of mice having an orgy under the hood. I hate it.

I'm redoing my front suspension in 2 months and will be checking this thread myself for any new suggestions. Good luck.

CP
Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 PM
jay67fast

I had them in one of my Mustangs several years back. I wound up carrying a spray can of silicone lubricant in the trunk. When the squeeks drove me bonkers, I'd get out and spray them with it. It worked for a while, repeat as necessary!!!LOL.
NEVER,NEVER AGAIN in any car I'll drive!!!!!
Jay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeek Squeek