Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

snails pace restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default snails pace restoration

Well, making progress on the 66. I know it's been awhile so here's some pics to keep ya occupied. So far, tore down everything and currently mocking up panels. Rear cross-member is welded in, and new trunk lid is on. Lessons learned:
1) no matter how much you practice your welding, you still suck.
2) measure, then measure again, and then measure your measurements.
3) you can never have too many vice-grips
Seriously -
- measure your new panels. I bought one trunk panel that was 1/2" too short and took nearly 5 weeks to get a replacement panel.
- any opportunity you get to practice your welding, do it
- find a reference, like your trunk lid, always refer back to it.
- mark a center line on your crossmember to center on you subframes
- patience! you can always walk away and come back later

you can see in the last two pics the damage by the previous owner. the PO, 130 yr old blue hair swore up and down the car had never been in a wreck. something tells me it was the son/daughter who likely used the car. the damaged qrtr does not go up past the soldier seam, but you can see how the qrtr got pushed forward and down. the good news, it was all sheet metal damage, the subframe is perfect and straight. once I get everything tacked in, i'll start on the qrtr panel.
Attached Thumbnails snails pace restoration-torndown.jpg   snails pace restoration-imag0048.jpg   snails pace restoration-imag0047.jpg   snails pace restoration-imag0043.jpg   snails pace restoration-imag0044.jpg  

Last edited by groho; 06-21-2009 at 01:22 PM.