Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Erks Eagles

Default Transmission leak

Thanks in advance for any help. I noticed a pool of transmission fluid the other day, it is coming out of the middle of the car, not the rear. It is driving fine, shifts well too. I have been checking the fluid each day after i drive it and it still says it is full, yet after a few ours of sitting there is anopther pool of fluid. Did I over fill one time and it is just getting rid of excess fluid? With this much fluid out why is the stick still reading fluid level is full? Last question, this is not my daily driver and are cars that are only driven every other day or so more likely to have leaks than daily drivers? I try and start it and drive it every day but sometimes it might be 2 or 3 days in between. I was just curious as to what you all felt was best. I am glad it's not my daily driver these last 2 weeks, it has been over 100 degrees in Ga. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 PM
MayorDaly

Erks, Sound like the same thing I have on my 66 C4, I am not sure but I think its a releaf
valve allows fluid to drain back into the pan from the main hydrolic assembly, and then leaks out from the pan through the overflow tube. I think it may be dirty or worn, I was hoping some would post a good explanation and a way to flush or clean it out. Any Ideas? Help!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

your fluid is draining out the vent tube located near the rear of the tranny, drivers side, above the linkage. There's a check ball in the front pump that prevents drain back from the torque converter. Somtimes this ball gets stuck or dirty and allows fluid to drain back into the body of the tranny when it's sitting. Sometimes it's days, sometimes its weeks. Couple of ways to deal with it, attach a rubber hose route it above the tranny. be sure not to block or kink the line. I bent a longer tube using 5/16" tubing and bent it up at a 45 deg angle then routed it down past the linkage, so any fluid drains back into the body instead of out on the ground.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 PM
MayorDaly

Thanks again, I'll give it a try this weekend, I had a recommendation to flush tranny with Sea Foam Trans tune, have used the motor stuff for fuel system and worked great.
After knowing what going on, its not as bad to see a puddle of ATF under the car.
Thanks for your help