Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

broken header bolts in head [Insert giant swear word in caps lock here]

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Sounds like a job for the Grabit damaged screw and bolt remover.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
Sounds like a job for the Grabit damaged screw and bolt remover.
hah if only the bolts were stuck loosely in there!

No really, those have never worked for me. I mean, if the head broke off because the bolt was so tight in there, what makes them think it will unscrew by reverse drilling it? Maybe if you get deep enough and wide enough to weaken the threads. Or apply significant heat to the stud.

/rant about money spent which has not been used yet

But actually I think that is what my friend is talking about using. Frankly, the welding technique sounds much more promising (if we are not going to take the head off). I'd be quite afraid of drilling at a blind angle into the head
Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

So I FINALLY got all the bolts out and the manifold off the car. Only broke 3 out of 11 bolts when a machinist told me I would probably break them all.

So do these manifolds not come with gaskets? Mine has no gasket unless it has disintegrated and left no trace. Could that be the reason why it got so hot and cracked?

Also, will it be any of a problem to use a gasket with the new manifold?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

not all cars use a manifold gasket. My 94 f150 didn't have one either. I put one on it when I developed a leak.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony R
not all cars use a manifold gasket. My 94 f150 didn't have one either. I put one on it when I developed a leak.
The machinist told me it would be recommended to resurface the head's exhaust ports after pulling the manifold.

Do you think he said this knowing it doesn't have a gasket and that I wouldn't be using one with the new manifold? (in other words, a gasket over a bad surface would be an alternative to resurfacing?)
Old 06-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

Are you putting a new exhaust manifold or using the old one. Either way you may want to have it resurfaced or checked to make sure it is true if you aren't going to use a gasket. If you plan on a gasket I would think you could check it yourself and go with it as is. My f150 has the 300 I6 with two exhaust manifolds and one has a warp to it. I put on a gasket and put it back together( I was too lazy to take it to a machine shop) and have been driving it for the past 7 or 8 years that way with no leaks.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

I guess the issue is that we have three broken bolts in there, yet my dad seems confident we can get a right-angle drill in the 8 inches of space and drill them out without removing the head. I'm really worried he won't drill straight on.. I don't know. He just doesn't want to go through the long process of removing the head There could be more bolts that break off on the block when removing the head. OMG that is not what we need right now!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I would try the welding of a nut on the broken bolts if you have access to a welder. I would recommend using never seize or a similar product when you put your manifolds back on to eliminate this problem in the future.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony R
I would try the welding of a nut on the broken bolts if you have access to a welder. I would recommend using never seize or a similar product when you put your manifolds back on to eliminate this problem in the future.
Yeah, no access to a welder I absolutely agree that would probably be the best way... at least for the one sticking out 3/8 of an inch
Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Oh and what would cause the exhaust manifold to get so hot that it would crack? Would a leak do that?

Quick Reply: broken header bolts in head [Insert giant swear word in caps lock here]