Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

broken header bolts in head [Insert giant swear word in caps lock here]

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Good thing about SBF engines over Chevy is that the head bolts do not extend into the block water jackets.... much less of a possibility that any head bolts will stick. Seeing as I have pulled apart LOTS of Chevys with nar a problem, you will probably be ok.

I have NEVER had the exhaust manifold area of a head resurfaced.... EVER. I have never had a problem, but I always go back with gaskets whether I am using manifolds or headers.

It just occurred to me that you might be talking about a 6 cylinder??

If so you will have a lot more room than I was first thinking... I would try a lot of stuff before pulling the head if this is the case.

I think it would be damn hard to drill or even weld on a V-8 head in the car, a LOT easier on a 6.

Since I have pulled lots of heads (mostly on engines OUT of the car though) the thought of pulling a head off does not bother me much, but I agree it seems pretty daunting to a novice, and as you have seen, even "easy" fixes can have "complications".

"You have to drive with the fear Ricky...... "
Old 06-24-2009, 01:21 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
Oh and what would cause the exhaust manifold to get so hot that it would crack? Would a leak do that?

Most of the time they just crack...

Over time lots of heat cycles will crack um...

If the engine is running lean it will make for hotter exhaust that can crack manifolds "right now".

Usually a lean condition like this is accompanied by sparkplugs that are WHITE in the terminal area. Chances are if the plugs are brownish or darker you are not running lean. (you have to take a plug or two out to check this)

If the plugs are very near white, you are running lean.

Last edited by JMD; 06-24-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
Good thing about SBF engines over Chevy is that the head bolts do not extend into the block water jackets.... much less of a possibility that any head bolts will stick. Seeing as I have pulled apart LOTS of Chevys with nar a problem, you will probably be ok.

I have NEVER had the exhaust manifold area of a head resurfaced.... EVER. I have never had a problem, but I always go back with gaskets whether I am using manifolds or headers.

It just occurred to me that you might be talking about a 6 cylinder??

If so you will have a lot more room than I was first thinking... I would try a lot of stuff before pulling the head if this is the case.

I think it would be damn hard to drill or even weld on a V-8 head in the car, a LOT easier on a 6.

Since I have pulled lots of heads (mostly on engines OUT of the car though) the thought of pulling a head off does not bother me much, but I agree it seems pretty daunting to a novice, and as you have seen, even "easy" fixes can have "complications".

"You have to drive with the fear Ricky...... "
oh god .. the last part made me LOL

Very true. One [small] thing leads to another in this case. Dang. Well I spent all damn day working on that manifold, it felt so good to get it off finally at about 9 PM.

Yes it is a 6 cylinder, and I guess the main thing that is daunting about the head removal is removing other things such as the carb and thermostat and also draining the radiator (though we may have to do that soon to replace the water pump). Also just going through this bolt experience, we would probably kill ourselves if we broke a bolt off in the block.

I am feeling better about the drilling idea. It's about a 40 degree downward angle to drill in with about eight inches to the shock tower. We also have like half an inch of room in the head behind the end of the bolt for extra drilling room (thats what you were talking about with the SBF vs Chevy?).

I think the main reason they broke is because we were torquing on them with a breaker bar when the bolts are not tight to the manifold. So we were not just twisting them off, we were bending/breaking them off.

Oh and to your post above: What are the chances the spark plugs would be a PITA to get out (worst case scenario, not changed while the car has been mainly stationary for 20 years)
Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ya jmd beat me to it. thought you might be talking about a 6 too. that makes the drilling a whole lot easier. one thing you may wanna try before trying to tap it out is pb blaster to try and free up the rest of the bolt. little late now but thats wht i did. 2 days, one day a side on my 8, 3 cans of pb blaster and probably took me about 30 each bolt. was trying to be so careful to not break em
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
Yeah, no access to a welder I absolutely agree that would probably be the best way... at least for the one sticking out 3/8 of an inch
Make some calls to local welders. Welders as a lot are pretty reasonable guys. Feel them out. If you call the right one you might be surprised how cheaply he will come to you and do a little welding. It would save you TONS of heartache.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

My 6 has a gasket
Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Well a car buddy of mine came over with an impact gun and we started drilling into a bolt. It started to wander and thats about when we said **** it. Now my job is to convince my dad to pull the head.

Anybody have a guide to removing and reinstalling the head (the bolt pattern and torque?)
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Haynes book ought to have it, along with other useful information.

Norm
Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM
budribbs

Thumbs up header bolt

Originally Posted by KMatch
Before pulling a head, find a buddy with a welder. If he's worth a hoot, he'll know what to do. If not, I'll explain it. For a 3/8 bolt, use a larger nut, say, 7/16 or even 1/2 inch. Center it over the broken bolt. Now weld the bolt to the nut and back it out. This gives an obvious wrenching area PLUS the heat loosens the bolt if it's frozen due to corrosion. Should this fail, it's time to drill. Kicking your cat helps.
frist weld a flat washer on the bolt then weld a nut on the washer it works 99% of the time
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Took the head in today and he is cleaning it up. He's going to come over in about 30 minutes and check out the block.

Quick Reply: broken header bolts in head [Insert giant swear word in caps lock here]