Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Parking Brake hookup - underside

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Parking Brake hookup - underside

When i had my floor pans replaced apparently my body shop didn't put back on the bracket for the parking brake on the passenger floor pan, or it was so rusted away it was long gone (I'm betting that). So basically my question is what are the measurements for the bracket? This website I found the part on said that the bracket mounts to the floor pan and acts as an anchor the for idler, I have the idler and always wondered what the hell it was until I found the pics online.

Here's the bracket:

anyone have a picture of where their bracket is? Preferably a 69/70 but it should be very similar for a 67/68. If you have measurements or can take some then that would be great!

How should I put it on? I don't have a welder, I was thinking of just using panel bond or JB weld, it should be strong enough to hold a parking brake cable I would think...

Another method of instal I was thinking is I could just hook up the idler to the cable and bracket and then pull the bracket as far as I can until it is tight, mark it, then bond it in place. Would this work fine?

Any help is appreciated, one goal of mine this summer is to actually get my parking brake working luckily I have an auto so it isn't too big of a deal.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

It should be welded. This is not something you want popping off when you need it most.

This is a 68:

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-23-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I agree that it should be welded. Just have a muffler shop do it.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You're bringing the car to SLO. You don't want it to roll down a hill into my car. Weld it:P
Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

No parking break at the moment
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Thanks for that pic, really helps.

OK I guess I'll get it welded then I figured a nice bond would be enough because there shouldn't be too much pressure on it.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I bought those but decided to go with a center trany mounted Lokar e-brake instead. Since you don't have anything setup yet its another option.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
mike68
1st Gear Member

how about using 3 bolts.... stronger than the muffler shops welds
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
No parking break at the moment
I don't have one at all. I win
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
I bought those but decided to go with a center trany mounted Lokar e-brake instead. Since you don't have anything setup yet its another option.
well I have everything already, just missing that bracket since the body shop replaced my floor pans. The Lokar stuff is really awesome though, wish I could invest in that but I can't justify it Already had to buy a parking brake pedal assembly over a year ago.

Originally Posted by mike68
how about using 3 bolts.... stronger than the muffler shops welds
Thats a possibility, only problem is the carpet and sound deadener I have. I would have to remove it then drill three holes. The carpet and stuff should cover up the bolts fine though... I suppose I would have to remove the carpet anyway when it gets welded.

and Tad, if thats the case maybe I shouldn't get it installed. If my car hits yours it will give you an excuse to slap some shiny new paint on your beast

Quick Reply: Parking Brake hookup - underside