Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rack and Pinion upgrade from RC Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 AM
PedroBot

Default Rack and Pinion upgrade from RC Motorsports

Was looking at upgrading to power steering, figured what the hell, lets drop some serious coin and do this once and do it right. Front suspension definitely needs updating anyways.

Anyone used this kit, more specifically the 107?

here's the site
http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com/index.html

Last edited by PedroBot; 06-24-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: link added
Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
PedroBot

Default Anyone?

TTT
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Expensive and labor intensive if all you want is a rack. I'd choose other things before that, even if only for the rack.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM
PedroBot

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Expensive and labor intensive if all you want is a rack. I'd choose other things before that, even if only for the rack.

Thanks for posting CPR. I'm very new to this, not very savvy with cars, I'm crossing over from a Motorcycle background. Honestly after dropping $2k for Termi exhaust or Ohlins forks for one of my MC's this kit seems like a bargain. But like I said, I'm new to this. What I hope to achieve is to get "best bang for my buck" type of suspension/brake set up. My car already has front disk brakes but the suspension is a bit lacking. No power steering either leaves me wanting to tackle the suspension/handling issue first.

It sounds like you know what you're talking about so I've gotta ask:
If you were planning on using a 1966 289 Mustang as frequently as possible for 20-30 mile city commutes, what suspension/steering upgrade would you go with that would give you the "best bang for your buck?"

BTW,
Nice shop, checked out the link to your shop. One more question, if that dark (black/blue?) Mustang coupe on your main webpage is a 1964,65,66, what size wheels/tire combo are you running on that? I've been shopping around for wheels too and find myself attracted to those Cobra-style wheels.

Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:56 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

That black one is a 67. If I remember it was 8 in the front and 9.5 in the back. And they were vintage rims. Best bang for the buck could be stock suspension with upgrade and a upper arm drop. That does handle really well. Add a power rack from almost anyone other than flaming river. TCP's stuff is the ****, but will be about 6k for rack and front suspension. An AJE kit I like better than the MII. Comes with a rack and you can cut the towers back a bit. For about 3500 you can get the aje stuff with 13in rotors up front. There will be no lacking in that brake setup. lol
Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM
PedroBot

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
That black one is a 67. If I remember it was 8 in the front and 9.5 in the back. And they were vintage rims. Best bang for the buck could be stock suspension with upgrade and a upper arm drop. That does handle really well. Add a power rack from almost anyone other than flaming river. TCP's stuff is the ****, but will be about 6k for rack and front suspension. An AJE kit I like better than the MII. Comes with a rack and you can cut the towers back a bit. For about 3500 you can get the aje stuff with 13in rotors up front. There will be no lacking in that brake setup. lol
Thanks again CPR. Yeah, checked out the TCP stuff and it is a bit more than what I'd like to spend, but not totally against it. I also looked at the AJE package but there seems to be more work involved in installation. Is my assessment correct?

Looks like a front suspension kit from TCP (coil-over spring conversion single adjuster) kit will run about $2400 + add the $1000 power rack and pinion from another co. (i.e. randallsrack) and the price is about $3500 + labor. I wonder if the $2500 kit from AJE with install (extra cutting and modding) will add up to close to what the labor + TCP + randalls power R&P would run.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Eh, you don't have to cut the towers like in the pics. If you notice, the one on the right isn't cut back. But if you do a rack from another company like Randals, I remember the kits being closer to 2k than 1k. So ur closer to 4500 with the TCP stuff. The AJE saves you about 100lbs on the nose because you get rid of a lot of metal. Some you don't HAVE TOO get rid of though. All said and done, the AJE would probably be about 1k more if you have someone install if all for you. But that's with 13in brakes, where as with the TCP, you'd run what you have, or pay to go bigger on top of what is already typed. Same brakes on both kits, I guess would be really close. But the TCP stuff will handle better.
I just wanted a rack really bad for mine. So I did a basic kit, and went to the junk yard and got '95 brakes. 12in in the front for me will be plenty with 12 in rotor in the rear