Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Could use some advice on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 AM
SaveOldSchoolMuscle

Default Could use some advice on upgrades

Hi guys. My name is Mike and I’m working on a 1966 Mustang coupe. I intend to use the car as a daily driver and something I could take to the track once in a while. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice and answer some questions I have. Here’s a video of car as it is now. (If you click on the link at the top you can watch in high quality on you tube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g5a5...e=channel_page

Well the plan is to get the suspension steering and brakes done this summer while the engine is out of the car. If time permits I like get electrical system done and a new engine in too.

I am trying to figure out what brake setup to go with. I like to ditch the drums completely and go to a 4 wheel disc system. I was thinking of using SSBC Kit A120-20 up front and kit A111-2 in the back. The questions have are this:

Anybody have a 4 wheel power disc setup? How much better is it in daily driving over the stock drums?

Is the 7 inch booster that comes in the A120-20 kit powerful enough for a 4 disc setup? I have heard its not and you have to go manual for a 4 disc setup.

Would I have any clearance issues with the master cylinder/booster if an export brace is installed?

I’m also a bit worry about wheel clearance. The wheels I have now are 14”x6.5” (measure from rim edge to rim edge) with 3 7/8” back spacing. SSBC say 14”x7” on there website but don’t say what back spacing they want. I don’t want to buy new rims and tires just yet.

I basically got down what I want to do as far suspension and steering upgrades go:
Tear down and rebuild everything. Replace parts if necessary.
All new polyurethane bushings
Clean/repaint engine bay while parts are out.
One Inch Shelby UCA drop.
New spring perches
New Sway bar 1”
Grab a track One inch drop springs front and mid eye leaf in the back.
New rear spring shackles and shocks.
Monte Carlo bar and export brace.
Replace the steering box (you can see all the play in the wheel in the video)

I haven’t figure what engine I am getting yet but I am thinking about a 306 short block from D.S.S. Racing. What do you guys think DSS Engines? Not sure about the heads yet as well. Got to do some more research but I’ll take any recommendations. Nothing to crazy I just want something street-able that I could reuse the manifold and carb I was going to install on my old block. Also after looking at my video anybody got a reason why heck the piston rings failed on #5 in my old engine?

Is that enough question for you guys? Looking forward to your feedback!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

hey

first quick q before i forget. in the vid you said the 289 wasnt stock....im assuming it was a 6 before? I have a 66 289. i didnt do 4 wheel conversion but went with fronts as disc and it was a....well....id say moderate swap. change the single cylinder to dual brake cylinder but did put a boost on it.

ive heard/seen that boosts fit without a new hood. as far as clearance goes on (well at least my front wheel) no problem. i had basically same sized wheels and didnt need to change a thing.

As far as everything else goes.....if you have the $ id strip the body completely since you are doing so much work and sandblast it. maybe its my stand point but if i had my own garage id just strip my car to the frame.....damn parents want their garage lol.

the grab-a-track i can vouch for. very nice, the poly's made a little noise the first couple days but were fine later. BTW i think (id have to measure) the grab-a-track kit comes with a 1-1/2" sway bar....i may be wrong tho.

as far as the engine goes....
for heads ive always liked Trickflow, AAR's, or simple Ford GT40's. What is the manifold that you have? im guessing 4v
Old 06-30-2009, 05:10 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I intend to use the car as a daily driver and something I could take to the track once in a while.
SCCA or NHRA? Makes a big difference.

Well the plan is to get the suspension steering and brakes done this summer while the engine is out of the car. If time permits I like get electrical system done and a new engine in too.
Make sure part of this is lowering the upper arms 1", and export brace and Monte Carlo bar.

Anybody have a 4 wheel power disc setup? How much better is it in daily driving over the stock drums?
In daliy use, very little. The main advantage the discs have over drums is the discs fade later and recover quicker in hard driving. You'll be getting tickets before this happens on the street.

Is the 7 inch booster that comes in the A120-20 kit powerful enough for a 4 disc setup? I have heard its not and you have to go manual for a 4 disc setup.
Huh? Any boost is better than no boost. Discs require higher line pressure than drums, so with no boost the pedal will feel "harder" than the drums you have now. I like it that way, but be aware this will happen.

Would I have any clearance issues with the master cylinder/booster if an export brace is installed?
Not if you choose wisely. The MPB setup with modern cylinder should clear the brace and the clutch.

I’m also a bit worry about wheel clearance. The wheels I have now are 14”x6.5” (measure from rim edge to rim edge) with 3 7/8” back spacing. SSBC say 14”x7” on there website but don’t say what back spacing they want. I don’t want to buy new rims and tires just yet.
Use this: Mustang Wheel and Tyre Chart

I basically got down what I want to do as far suspension and steering upgrades go:
Tear down and rebuild everything. Replace parts if necessary.
All new polyurethane bushings
Great for racing. Harsh for the street. DON'T use urethane on the struts.

Clean/repaint engine bay while parts are out.
One Inch Shelby UCA drop. √√√
New spring perches
New Sway bar 1”
Grab a track One inch drop springs front and mid eye leaf in the back.
Might be too low for your roads. It would be around here.

New rear spring shackles and shocks.
Kayaba Gas-A-Just.

Monte Carlo bar and export brace. √√√
Replace the steering box (you can see all the play in the wheel in the video)
Try adjusting as per the Ford manual. You'd be surprised. Of course, if you have the 5-turn box you'll NEED a new 4-turn.

I haven’t figure what engine I am getting yet but I am thinking about a 306 short block from D.S.S. Racing. What do you guys think DSS Engines? Not sure about the heads yet as well. Got to do some more research but I’ll take any recommendations. Nothing to crazy I just want something street-able that I could reuse the manifold and carb I was going to install on my old block. Also after looking at my video anybody got a reason why heck the piston rings failed on #5 in my old engine?
Rings do what they do. When I had my 289HP bored, 7 cylinders were still in limits, but #4 only came clean on the last pass.

If you're really gonna race, give serious consideration to old-fashioned solid lifters, with something like the C7FE-A Cobra LeMans cam (still available). It drives pretty well on the street considering Ford used it in racing, and it'll give you solid, stable performance when you race.
Modern heads will really help, but if you go with the old iron heads be sure to port-match the exhaust, and remove any smog pump bump while you're at it. This will really wake up the engine, and allow whatever cam you choose to breathe.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!!

That looks like you have a nice coupe with lots of potential.

I have 4 wheel disc with Granada front and Versailles rear. It is not power but has a dual reservior master cylinder like a 67. They perform way better than the drums did.

You really don't need rear disc (rear drum is fine), but I would say that front disc is mandatory. But you already know that.

As far as wheels go, I think you may need to go up to a 15 inch wheel. I had to to fit my Granada brakes. I think 15s look better anway and are the perfect size for a 65-68.

You should be able to run a 1 peice export brace with dual reservior master cylinder and booster. I have seen in on several cars.

I don't have any personal experience with the brake kits your asking about. Sorry no help there.

I also don't know about that engine company.

I got my 302 from The Engine Factory fordcobraengines.com. They did a great job. I am very satisfied with it.

What are your plans for a transmission. Are you keeping it a C4? I would recommend overdrive no matter if its auto or standard. Go with either a T5 or and AOD.

You will also want better gears in the rear and tracion lock limited slip.

If you are going to replace your steering box you would probably enjoy having the quick ratio box if it doesn't already have it.

My car is manual steering and it has a quick ratio box out of a power steering car.

I just saw in your video that you already have a new steering box.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 06-30-2009 at 11:11 AM.