Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

PCV Crankcase issue

Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM
cheeze433

Default PCV Crankcase issue

Hey guys,
I have a general question here, since I'm learning about this stuff. I want to know what the difference is between an open and closed crankcase. I understand an open uses a PCV valve. But, what are the pros and/or cons to running an engine open or closed? Are engines unique, meaning some are supposed to be closed and some open? If you have an engine that' supposed to be open, can you run it closed, and if so, what are the issues with doing that? How can you tell if an engine is supposed to have an open or closed crankcase? What's affected by the open/closed system? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the engine game and just trying to see what's what. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

I've never heard the terms open versus closed when describing PCV systems. I'll assume closed would mean no PCV valve is used and the block is just vented with filters. At least we'll use this for a discussion as a truly "closed" engine will puke a seal due to blowby pressures.

A PCV system uses vacuum to pull the blowby gases out of the block in a regulated manor. Not too much, not too little. A simple filtered system uses crankcase pressure to force blowby gases out. The filtered approach is OK for racing engines with constant oil changes, but not good for long term use as the oil will sludge up faster without the added ventilation a PCV system uses. The PCV system keeps more fresh air in the block.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:00 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
I've never heard the terms open versus closed when describing PCV systems. I'll assume closed would mean no PCV valve is used and the block is just vented with filters. At least we'll use this for a discussion as a truly "closed" engine will puke a seal due to blowby pressures.

A PCV system uses vacuum to pull the blowby gases out of the block in a regulated manor. Not too much, not too little. A simple filtered system uses crankcase pressure to force blowby gases out. The filtered approach is OK for racing engines with constant oil changes, but not good for long term use as the oil will sludge up faster without the added ventilation a PCV system uses. The PCV system keeps more fresh air in the block.
I don't think I can add anything to that....