Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
66fstbk88
1st Gear Member

Default upgrading the T5

I got a 351w pushing way to hard for these T5's that I keep chewin' up. Any suggestions on what to do. I drive it about 4 days a week, so I was thinking about a toploader, but I do need the overdrive. I was thinking about T56 or TKO. I don't really know how much work is involved.
Any ideas from people that have done this?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
66fstbk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Skip the toploader.

A tremec 500 would be a drop in replacement. The 600 uses a differant input and ouput shaft, and would require a new clutch disc and drive shaft yoke. If you go that route, contact Mike Forte at FortesParts.com. He can get you everything you need. Prices are good, and service is better.

If you're beating it up on the road course, contact Gordon Levy at LevyRacing.com. He can build you a T5 that will match your purpose and last forever.
.boB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 mustang fastback

i like the levyracing.com !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony View Post
My IDs used to be FootballnCrabs, but for whatever reason everyone thought I was a homosexual football player that enjoyed spreading his STD around the locker room. Go figure.
racin66coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
Is1BadFord

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang
Send a message via MSN to Is1BadFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66fstbk88 View Post
I got a 351w pushing way to hard for these T5's that I keep chewin' up.
I'm not sure what kind of car you're running, or what gears or tires (tires are like a replaceable fuse!) you have...but I ran a T5z behind a 500hp+ N/A 347, in a 10.70 2850lb daily driver Mustang for two years without issue. The z spec T5's are rated slightly higher than a standard unit, but not enough to make that much of a difference.

I guess what I'm saying is...rather than blame the 351...possibly you might consider how you're driving/shifting it? That's no insult!! An aftermarket shifter with positive stops (Pro 5.0) is an absolute necessity. Upgraded shift forks are also very much recommended. Additionally, no matter how 'hard' you drive it...you always have to keep in mind what you're shifting. Crisp, 'well aimed' shifts that aren't over powered do more for the life of a T5 than any single internal improvement. I mean, if I could run 10.70's with one behind a 347...it's clear they'll take hard shifts and a good bit of abuse =D.

Hope that helps!!

Cris

Pete Anderson Racing

Is1BadFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

Keep in mind, neither the TKO nor the T56 will fit under your tunnel without some sort of modification. You'll either have to hack up the tunnel or use a drop crossmember. If you do the latter, you'll need to account for the change in transmission output angle compared to pinion angle. You can probably get away with using Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts to drop the engine as well, fixing the angle problem.
Starfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 mustang fastback

i beleive the guys at american powertrain ( americanpowertrain.com ) have tko's and t56's modified to fit in the tunnel without a drop member or modified tunnel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony View Post
My IDs used to be FootballnCrabs, but for whatever reason everyone thought I was a homosexual football player that enjoyed spreading his STD around the locker room. Go figure.
racin66coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

True, forgot about that.
Starfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags