Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Want To Buy Another Classic Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:25 AM
SUPERSTEVE9219
1st Gear Member

Default Want To Buy Another Classic Mustang

I had a 67 Mustang when in high school last year but sold it because I thought I would need a better daily drive for when I went to college. I ended up buying a 2008 civic si, it is a great little car and pretty quick, but I really miss my old mustang. I was planning on buying another 67/68 mustang and putting a 5.0 and T-5 transmission so it will be a little easier to commute with.

I was wondering how much it would cost to do the swap, I do not have the facilities to do the engine swap myself, besides the cost of the transmission and engine itself, how much will the parts and labor cost? I know you guys can't know for sure but I am looking for a rough estimate.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

well if you buy a decent car and a wrecked 5.0 mustang you can do it pretty cheap
Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Labor rates are different depending on the area.

Heck, labor rates in my area can vary greatly depending on which shop you go to.

For example, I got a quote from one "restoration" shop to do my floor pans and literally laughed in the guy's face. He wanted several thousand dollars. I then met my buddy through networking and he only wanted between $600 - $800.

That being said, I asked my friend a while back if I got him to pull my engine and install a new one what would it run. He told me $500 to pull the old, install the new and get everything hooked back up. Obviously, this is only pulling and installing and doesn't include the cost of a new motor or any rebuilding type of work done on the old motor.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM
SUPERSTEVE9219
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies,

Yea I guess it would be hard to estimate how much it would be. I am in Southern California, do any of you know of a shop in the Los Angeles, Orange County area that you can trust and has reasonable prices?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

For that engine you could probably get a decent price. With the transmission then it gets higher or course. I got my 5.0 with trans and everything needed to run it from a guy all for $500. But that's because I got lucky. It seems people get these for around $1k to $1500 really. With moderate to high mileage.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:42 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Mine had 118k miles on it. Oh, and you're an idiot for trading the mustang for a honda. lol jk. But still not a good move in my book
Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
SUPERSTEVE9219
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vineman
Mine had 118k miles on it. Oh, and you're an idiot for trading the mustang for a honda. lol jk. But still not a good move in my book
The civic isn't really my car, its my grandfathers, we have a deal where I split the monthly car payment with him and I use it for driving to school.

I plan on buying the car having the swap done then doing everything else myself. What im really wondering about is if I can get a 5.0 with a T5 in a 67-68 for less than $2000.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

Being able to get a 5.0 with a t5 in it for $2000, with out doing the work is going to be really hard. I am currently doing that to mine keeping the efi. I bought a donor for $1100 pulled everything needed and sold the body for $700. Bought this and that still missing some things. I am around $1100 doing the labor myself not overhauling the engine or trans, gonna run it like that for a while hopefully it will last a while. If you decide to go efi a heads up. most of the diagrams and steps I found talk about a "brown connector 31" with are found in 92-93 haven't found out about the 91 yet. If you use or have a 90 like me you will have problems, I learned the hard way. Mine has a gray and a black connector where brown should be. I am going to the junk yard tomorrow hopefully find one.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

I had an 87 speed density so that wiring problem of yours seems like a breeze. Word of caution, START WITH A MAF UNIT...if possible. So much easier, more reliable, and the wiring info on them is WAY more abundant than speed density. Most of the time i spent on the wiring for mine was just trying to find the schematics for speed density and teaching myself how to splice it into the stang's harness. Oh, and I'm about $800 into mine when it comes to power train only.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 AM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

My 5.0 has maf don't really understand why my wiring is different. These are the connections that I am talking about just for ref.

Quick Reply: Want To Buy Another Classic Mustang