Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Proper way to install battery/terminal cables.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 AM
67mustangreg
2nd Gear Member

Default Proper way to install battery/terminal cables.

So I've replaced the starter solenoid since I last posted in here. But, while installing it, I was a dumbass and left the terminal cables connected...and ended up touching them and having sparks go everywhere and melt the ends of the wires. lesson learned. but I digress.

Now I have the negitive cable attached to the battery, which is out of the car (and most likely dead anyway, I drained it in the little welding accident) and the positive cable is not attached to anything. I the only thing hooked up right now is the starter-to-solenoid wire.

What is the proper way to do the rest of the job? I'm kinda scared of getting the crap shocked out of me now!!!! I also researched exploding car batteries, and that made it worse lol
Old 07-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

I guess I don't really understand the question :\

Disconnect the all wires from the battery and reconnect them last, after you have completed your work. If you are going to disconnect one battery cable, disconnect the negative cable and keep it away from bare metal that could ground it.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Hey Greg

Disconnect the negative first, reconnect it last. Always.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Not sure what the question is really asking either, negative should go to a ground, and the positive should go to the solenoid and the solenoid goes to the starter. I believe thats the way it is, been awhile though

be careful where the positive lead ends up... my wires are cracked and someone the positive wire hit my air cleaner snorkle and sparks flew everywhere, putting hundreds of holes in my jacket, shirt, and pants. It took a nice nickle size hole out of my snorkle edge before I could move it away from it, but I have to admit it was kind of fun in retrospect

Now my wires are all wrapped up in electrical tape.... I really should get new wires, but mine are fine for now
Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by Adam; 07-04-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

the positive line goes to the solenoid side closest to the battery. the negative line goes from the battery to the grounding location, my being one of the screws that is part of the motor mount on the block. if the negative line is long you can put a brace on it and then screw the brace into the side panel.