Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

OPINIONS??

Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 PM
1nastystang

Default OPINIONS??

Going to be starting my 65 coupe resto soon and was wondering .... carburated or fuel injected? What's the advantages/disadvantages of going to fuel injection? Am probably going to go with a 351w crate engine with a supercharger. What say you all?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
JamesW

take a look at my website and that'll tell you my views
Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

ok i wasnt going to post in here cause i knew wed get alot of efi and alot of carb fighting but since no ones for carb so far i gotta get in on it.

your car was made in 1965...it deserves and needs carburetor.

you get a ton of advantages with efi, gas mileage and tunability with the computer. so its hard to argue against it except with my reasoning
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

i would go carb for nostalgia reasons. but like said before efi has advantages
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I'm with knuckless and racin66coupe, but then again I am not a restomod guy. EFI works better, but there is just something about a carburator.

I see you are in a cold weather state. Do you plan to use the car in the winter? With EFI you hit the key and you're good to go. With a carb, it isn't as easy. Pump, Crank, Pump, Crank, Prime, Pump, Crank, Swear, Attach Jumper Cables, Pump, Crank...and you're good to go.
And then there is the day you decide not to put the air cleaner back on to fire it up and test drive it while you are working on it. That's the day you get the backfire, followed by the fire in the carb, and the big paint blister on the hood.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Carb.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

efi, blower, obviously money isn't an issue, cuz you already realize it's a chunk of change compared to a carb. if you have the money, why ask? I'm sorry if i'm being an ars, but the money aspect is huge, and the benefits are obvious. I'd be running efi, but can't afford $3K in the whole scheme of things; body, paint, etc. let us know how it turns out, please. My vote. . .nothing looks prettier and meaner than a well tuned, dual carb set-up.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:47 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you know how to tune a carb(which most people don't) then a carb is certainly much cheaper and makes for a cleaner engine compartment, and is more "classic" looking.

As far as power with blower, a blow through carb application will always make quite a bit more power than any EFI application can, the fuel absorbs the heat and cools the charge. A carb'd blow through setup without intercooling is generally as efficient, or slightly more efficient than an intercooled EFI setup, and if you put an intercooler on a blow through carb setup you can run quite a bit more boost than you could with EFI for the same fuel. A carb'd blow through setup can run boost levels on pump gas that EFI would need race fuel to run. That's provided you can know how to tune it right and don't blow it up.

If you don't know how to tune a carb, then you're probably better off staying away from them unless you can find someone who knows how to make them work right. FAST makes a new EFI setup, EZ-EFI with self learning and self tuning algorithms, it's actually quite affordable and bolts on to 4bbl carb intakes and is easy to set up. It actually has the wet flow advantages of a carburetor but it will tune itself. The only disadvantage is it's only good up to about 550-600hp, so if you want to build a blower setup with over 600hp you'd need a different system.

As far as mileage, that depends on the carburetor. Mileage is mostly going to be determined by how you drive it though, so if you drive with a lead foot don't expect to put EFI on and get 25mpg cuz it won't happen.

Edit: Also a properly set up carb should run just fine in the freezing winter, it just takes a bit longer for the choke to kick off. My carb'd engine fires over on the first crank with 1 pump, even when it's less than 20* F outside.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM
1nastystang

I do live in a cold weather state but MOST LIKELY will not be driving it in the winter. I was leaning towards the EFI over the carburator because like many of you said, carburators need tinkering at times and I'm not to good at tinkering w/ carburators. Only fear I have w/ the EFI is doing the computer system and all the wiriong that goes w/ it. What a pain in the **** it seems it could be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OPINIONS??