Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 AM
ngiffin417

Default Spark plugs

i just bought some accel 8.8 mm wires for my 68 with a 289 and am looking for the best performance out of a new set of plugs also.

I was thinking about some shorties because i do have headers and thought that might help out. All i have learned so far is platinum plugs are better...

Any suggestions...

Last edited by ngiffin417; 07-08-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

i use to put platinum +2's or +4's in my stang but their is a specialty classic mustang shop in town and he basically said that just plain jane coppers work just as well....unless the engine is really built. autolite.....errrr 24's i think. it runs just as well and i like the idea of getting plugs for about a $1 each instead of $3-$4 each

edit: my my 66 289 they are autolite 45's

Last edited by longlive289s; 07-08-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Platinum plugs are good for long life with a hot enough spark to keep them clean. I don't see much value in a classic application. As for performance, it's pretty simple. There is no hidden horsepower secret in spark plugs. Their only job is to fire once. Provided they do this at the right time, the power is related to everything surrounding the plug. The only way a spark plug affects power is when the fail to fire properly - **Bosch**, ahem.

Bosch makes good oxygen sensors, relays and fishing weights. Hopefully that is clear enough. For a Ford, stick with Autolites or Motorcraft - maybe even NGK. Don't try to reinvent the wheel or buy snakeoil. More important than the snakeoil plugs is getting the power to them. Good coil, wires, etc, along with PROPER plugs will do the trick.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
ngiffin417

Thanks for the input.

Its a 289 with 302 heads and bored. I put a 4 bar carb and new intake on it along with the headers. I did replace the coil because everything i read said the origional one was no good.

I was looking at some platinum +4 rated plugs for the hotter spark.
Or should i just go with a basic platinum plug??
Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Man I'd just go with copper. That's what our cars were meant to use. So what, you have to change them every once in a while? Like Kmatch said, if the platinums don't get hot enough spark then they won't stay clean, so you'll either have to clean them or buy new ones.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Autolite copper cores. Pretty much all of us with built up engines run them as well. They actually perform better. The copper is a better conductor of heat, and helps maintain a more controlled tip temperature in the plug, and they conduct electricity extremely well. The only advantage to platinums is that they don't errode as quickly as copper does, but the coppers are so much cheaper that changing plugs isn't a concern.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:09 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Oppurtunity to steal thread...whats up with these new e3 sprk plugs?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
I got one for my gas powered scooter a few years back and noticed no difference from regular platinum or copper plugs. They do have a lifetime warranty, but against what? I can hear them saying "well, fouled plugs are not our fault and are not covered under the warranty... same with broken tips, yada yada yada"
Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
I got one for my gas powered scooter a few years back and noticed no difference from regular platinum or copper plugs. They do have a lifetime warranty, but against what? I can hear them saying "well, fouled plugs are not our fault and are not covered under the warranty... same with broken tips, yada yada yada"
ya when i was workin at schucks a ways back thats when they first came in and we noticed the "lifetime guarantee". we called to ask and thats basically what it was that wasnt covered. normal ware and tear etc. things they do cover would be like if you were wrenching the plug down and it for some reason snapped in half or stupid crap like that.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
And redirecting the thread they are one I've seen on one of the Saturday shows that actually showed a minute improvement over other plugs. What the others were, I dunno. Worn out Bosch? Nah, Bosch doesn't last long enough to wear out... Anyway, they claimed a horsepower improvement although small and not enough you'd EVER feel at the rear wheels. So, back to my original rant. The E3s might be worth taking a shot at, but good ol' original spec will work great unless using a different spec plug for modifications. Key word here is "spec". Stick to it and avoid the snake oil.

Platinum is better than copper, iridium is better than platinum. At some point your car won't be able to tell one from the other and MY money's on copper doing a pretty good job all by itself in a well maintained/properly setup car. Single or dual plats won't hurt a thing, they just might give someone the warm and fuzzies they need, too.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs