Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Could timing affect the oil flow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default Could timing affect the oil flow?

So my engine runs great. Tons of power and i love it but, when i get on it, like WOT in 1st, 2nd, 3rd then let off i have a really bad lifter tick. it only lasts about 20-30 seconds then it is fine. So i am assuming that when the rpms go up the oil flow to the top end end is not suffice.

my oil pressure gauge is between the middle and the H. When i had the thing rebuilt they put in a high flow pump and a new pick up.

Could timing affect the oil flow? I am not sure what my ideal timing is but it is at 17* at idle and i have a mech dizzy and MSD set up.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Timing? No. If you have good oil pressure throughout the RPMs with no misfire at any time, you have a lifter problem. IF the gauge fluctuates any, it could be a restriction in oil from from the pickup screen or pump, or it could be air circulating due to many reasons from restrictions, lack of oil returning to the pan, low quality oil, and so on. Bad lifters are high on my list.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I was thinking that also but everything is new! lifters, pushrods rockers cam everything
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

here's a stupid guess from my side: oil too thick? (slow running down to pan). what oil are you running?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I was thinking that also but everything is new! lifters, pushrods rockers cam everything
The amount of noisy lifters which were "new" is a high number in my experience. It happens all too often.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

High-volume oil pumps are very good at pumping lots of oil up into the valve covers. Unless some work has been done to help that oil return to the pan there is additional risk of having the oil pump suck an air bubble (not good for lubing much of anything). Front-sumps and/or front-mounted oil pumps with long pickup tubes to rear sumps are at greater risk during sustained hard acceleration and high rpm's than rear pumps with rear sumps are.

My serious advice is to lose the high volume pump. Install a high pressure standard volume pump instead. For a street motor, the only value of a HV pump is that it can cover for you if you wipe a cam lobe or two - it will maintain oil system pressure better if you get that sort of internal lube system leakage than a standard volume pump can.

If you ever have the engine apart, remove all casting flash and bumps from all oil drainback holes, and break the sharp edges around them to make it even easier for the oil to start going down them. Do this for the heads and the block. Clean thoroughly to remove the debris that results.

Norm