Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Not for everyone.. but relocated fuel door

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I hate to go with the crowd but I am not a big fan of the door. I think a flush mounted one would be better but I have to say it is your car and you like it then who cares what everyone else says. It is a nice job. What did you do with the hole where the original filler tube is at? Show some picks of your tubing in the trunk. I was thinking of relocating mine as well but I may try to hide it behind the end cap.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

he said the old fuel door is the kill switch now
Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

if you find a fuel door that is about half the size and flush mount it then it might look okay. If its metal and body color then it would look even better

this though, I don't like
Old 07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

its a fine location and great idea, but the piece you chose looks like complete *** (no offense). looks like plastic and is obnoxiously huge
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Umm...no...just...noooo. The cap looks like some odd growth on the side of the car, and the kill switch looks like a wind-up key on a toy, since it sticks out that far. Plus, you can only park one way at a gas station now.

Well...whatever cranks your shaft, dude. It's your car...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Though it doesn't quite look right, I like the idea for functionality. Looks could be fixed with maybe a set in billet fuel door from the new Mustangs perhaps, aesthetically it could be fixed later. But I like it for 2 big reasons.

Firstly, those of us in California know what I'm talking about, but it can be a HUGE pain in the *** to fuel the car with the original fuel location with these new stiff rubber necked fuel pumps. Many of them don't fit right and gasoline spills all over the damn place when you try to gas up because you can't get the nozzle down inside the fill neck. There's only a couple of gas stations I'll fuel at specifically because the nozzles are the only ones that fit correctly, because they have longer nozzles. So putting in a newer fuel fill neck from a new car can certainly alleviate that problem.

And secondly, it does allow for a clean safety shut off switch installation, which is required per NHRA if you have a battery relocation.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:10 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

looks horrible
Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I'm usually the one on here that tells people modifications are ok as long as they like it regardless of what everyone else says, but I'm afraid I cannot say the same for this one.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

mount a 6" sub woffer on the other side to make it look just as bad.
Im all about custom but thats a FAIL!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna have to go with everyone else too. Did you do this for a guy or for your own ride? I would have laughed the guy out of the shop. I'm sorry but it looks terrible and ruins the flow of the car (I think). Maybe if it was inset and was like a regular fuel door like on most cars. Not the fake rivet round door look. That way it isn't noticeable untill you're up on the car. Bad idea.

Quick Reply: Not for everyone.. but relocated fuel door