Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Not for everyone.. but relocated fuel door

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Tomrob77
2nd Gear Member

Im about to buy a new one for you.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

No comment, I think enough has been said! But on a good note, those Rims and tires look Killer!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Not my cup of tea but to each his own. There is a safety factor involved here. He won't get crushed between his car and another car at the gas station when someone pulling up behind him misses the brake.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:06 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, that fuel door is hideous. I just threw up in my mouth.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

and im not a big fan of the monster 5 inch tack either
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 PM
interwest
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I love the tire/wheel combo as well. Need to get around to cleaning the wheels though...

Nice, thanks for the comments, even though mostly bad. Like I said, not everyone's taste. Yes, it is my car and yes, I would it again. I like how it looks and it is easier to fuel up.

The reason for it? Mostly the kill switch. Fabbed a piece of aluminum round bar into a about a 3/8 disk, cut the inserts for the switch and mounted it back there because we relocated the battery to the back. Another reason was just that it seemed like nobody had done such a thing around here.

Used marine grade fuel line to route the fuel from the door to the stock tank location.

The reason for the enormous fuel door? Had a hell of a time trying to find one that would fit flush or even with the contours of the body lines. So was talking to my buddy about the whole idea and he (tricks out jeeps for a living) suggested an aftermarket metal door for a yj jeep. A little too flat, but it got the job done.

We finished that up after throwing in the 9" rear (post pictures of that later). Trust me, there was a TON of opposition to the idea. Everything ranging from it would be more work then it is worth to it just looking effin ugly. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, there would be a few things I would change the next go around, but there wasn't really much to go off of when we started. So the general response here and at the track was that it was pretty cool. The tech inspector was pretty impressed.

Like I said, not everyone's taste, and I respect that a lot, if not most of you don't like, but that's cool.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Like I said, it could look better but the reasoning for it on 2 counts makes up for that. I've contemplated putting a newer model fuel neck in like that, but in the rear, just because of fueling issues with newer pumps.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

i must say im not much of a fan.

looks WAY out of place

needs to be painted to match the quarter

should have been further back on the quarter as it sits way to close to the wheel well

if it were more like a current day fuel door it would be a little better. the fact that its got the frame that screws into the panel is what makes it look so out of place. it needs to be a modern day flush door with a pocket going into the trunk.

also half the reason it looks so out of place is its not where it came from the factory.

i personally would have just popped the 1/2 hold next to one of the tail lights and put the disconnect there.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
interwest
1st Gear Member

It does have a pocket that goes into the trunk. I actually used the same metal piece that is mounted on the back and screwed it into the pocket of the fuel door.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
NvrSumR
1st Gear Member

I'm almost at a loss for words..... its just..... terrible. Sorry man.

Quick Reply: Not for everyone.. but relocated fuel door