Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Turn signal help - - 1966 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
jvert

Default Turn signal help - - 1966 Mustang

I have a 1966 mustang and my turn signals seemed to stop working. I checked all the fuses and bulbs and they are all good. The lights work and brake lights as well. The dash lights where the turn signals are suppose to flash dont work either? I am dumbfounded and have no idea where else to check. Do any of you have tips on what to do next???
Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

There is a round plastic flasher "unit" that sits behind the dash near the glove box. I know I had to replace mine when I went with sequential flashers. I have no idea if that's your problem or not but I know its part of the blinker system.

Someone here should be able to give you a better name for the part than I did.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvert
I have a 1966 mustang and my turn signals seemed to stop working. I checked all the fuses and bulbs and they are all good. The lights work and brake lights as well. The dash lights where the turn signals are suppose to flash dont work either? I am dumbfounded and have no idea where else to check. Do any of you have tips on what to do next???
Does this mean the indicators light up on the dash, but don't blink? Or they don't light up at all?

A flasher is only a couple of bucks. When they stop working, your turn sig lights and indicators will light up, but not blink. Change the flasher. Note: be sure you have the correct flasher for your model. Flashers for other cars will fit, but won't work.

Flashers look like this:

Good luck.

CP
Old 07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

As the others stated, if the dash lights stay on, then the flasher unit is bad. If they don't light at all it could be the turn signal switch in the steering column.
I think the turn signals may be on the same circuit as the wipers. If your wipers work I think you can assume that the fuse is good as well as the fuse panel. At least you can start to narrow the problem down to a smaller area.
Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
jvert

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro
Does this mean the indicators light up on the dash, but don't blink? Or they don't light up at all?

A flasher is only a couple of bucks. When they stop working, your turn sig lights and indicators will light up, but not blink. Change the flasher. Note: be sure you have the correct flasher for your model. Flashers for other cars will fit, but won't work.

Flashers look like this:

Good luck.

CP
No the lights dont flash or get brighter when I put the signal on. I will try the flasher.

Dumb question where is the flashers located at?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
jvert

Originally Posted by scootchu
As the others stated, if the dash lights stay on, then the flasher unit is bad. If they don't light at all it could be the turn signal switch in the steering column.
I think the turn signals may be on the same circuit as the wipers. If your wipers work I think you can assume that the fuse is good as well as the fuse panel. At least you can start to narrow the problem down to a smaller area.
Good Luck.
THe blades work and that is what I am scared of. I think the steering colum switch maybe bad and it looks like a lot of work.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvert
No the lights dont flash or get brighter when I put the signal on. I will try the flasher.

Dumb question where is the flashers located at?
Mine hangs out around the base of the steering column above the brake pedal.

Getting to the switch isn't that involved, but you will probably need a wheel puller to get to it. I had a 1968 vert where the switch contacts had gotten hot, melting and recessing them and they wouldn't make contact.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

The flasher can be anywhere from the fuse panel to the glove box, but the stock location was around the steering column area like jvert said.

If you have to change your sig switch, it's really easy. The only odd tools you'll need is a wheel puller (around $8) and a pin extractor/installer to replace the wiring in the pin connector (the wiring plug). You can buy a pin extractor/installer at Radio Shack for around $6, or either tool online.

If the new flasher makes your sigs blink, but the turn sig lever won't stay in place, your cam is broken. Cams are plastic and they all brake eventually. You can replace just the cam without replacing the whole switch for about $7. If that is the case, you won't need the pin extractor/installer, but you will need the wheel puller.

All this stuff will be as simple as changing a light bulb once you get in there and do it once.

(The turn signal cam is the white part above)

CP
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's probably the flasher, that's the culprit 99% of the time. They're a few bucks at the auto parts store.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 PM
jvert

You guys are all great. Thanks for the tips. I will check it out and keep everyone posted on how things turn out.

Quick Reply: Turn signal help - - 1966 Mustang