Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What the Hell happened here???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Gun Jam

I got an IT masters degree. I can make complicated and wacky solutions to easy problems.....sad thing is they usually work really well.

-Gun
Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
I got an IT masters degree. I can make complicated and wacky solutions to easy problems.....sad thing is they usually work really well.

-Gun
what ever happened to occam's razor? lol? hoses got hot
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam

-Gun
I won't debate your theory, just my use of the leaf blower (gas) would really make my neighbor, already doubtful of my sanity, scratching their heads.

I see how you were thinking and I like it.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Nobody wants to use Ohms law to figure out how much draw it has? Its not that hard to figure out... besides you can get a shunt and use a multimeter also..
Old 07-16-2009, 10:04 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Short of the fuse being jumpered with a wire or foil or something, (I see no evidence of a jumper), There is ONE plain and simple reason for this happening and only one reason.

The fuse was loose in the holder and an ARC was created (when the fan kicked on) from the spade of the fuse to where it was supposed to make connection in the holder.

This was caused by the fuse being loose in the holder, and/or the fuse holder being defective.

I am going to say that this arcing happened on the "upstream" prong of the fuse.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
jc92073
1st Gear Member

Do you know where that fuse was bought? Harbor Freight had to recall several fuses in the past because they would not blow and started some fires when they melted. GM even sent a letter out to their dealers warning them of those fuses.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Make no mistake, the fuse might be defective, nonetheless, that damage was a result of ARCING....

I am 99.99% sure of that.

Replace the fuse holder and problem solved.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Gun Jam

to use Ohm's law you would need to know volts (easy) and resistance not as easy as you have to completely disconnect the motor from everything probably by cutting the wires and at 12v resistance measurements must be precise. Finally it doesn't account for failing bearings or other load generators

JMD's suggestion is the best yet. I hadn't thought about arcs. It could indeed be an issue if the fuse was loose. I thought of another issue just now...if the fuse fit tight then there could have a corrosion issue that may have increase resistance on one leg of the fuse. This could have possibly created a hot spot due to the resistance but if it were that bad I would think fan speed would be very low as voltage would also suffer (but maybe not noticeably). So arc is probably the better bet.

Either way like JMD said replace the holder.

happy hunting.

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 07-16-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
Changed the upper radiator hose on my car, started the engine and was making sure the air was out of the system and I see wisps of smoke coming from the fan fuse holder.
I see this:

How in the world can a fuse melt without burning the element???
I have never witnessed this before. It's the 30amp fuse that came with the controller. Woweeeeee, that would have been fun to put out in a hurry.
Only 2 things to cause this. A poor connection at the fuse causing enough of an overhear issue to burn the plastic (happens quite regularly) or a Chinese fuse from Harbor Freight or similar sources (also happens regularly). I'm not sure what the miracle metal in those imported fuses is, but I do know they will make a car go up in a fireball and the only thing left will be an intact fuse element. Yes, they catch fire during a short but won't burn the element. A shorted fan with a proper fuse will simply blow the fuse provided it's wired with proper gauge wiring and such. The only answer here is a new fuse holder with a real fuse, make sure the wiring is up to task, and try again, provided you don't have access to an amp meter which will tell the real tale.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

It was the fuse, holder and wiring that came with the fan. My bet would be the connect as others have stated. I will replace the fuse holder and keep and eye on it. Thanks guys.