Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headers or Exhaust

Old 07-19-2009, 08:23 AM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

lilrobo here...

right now, the headers we bought, hits right smack into the equalizer bar. by the look of the pictures comparing the hi po and non hi po, it IS curved away some, so would that allow us to run the shorties?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

i am going to out mustang parts guy and see about the parts ,,, hopefully we can change the z-bar and use our headers that we have now???? if not we will have to go with stock Hi-Po set
Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
JBA mid-lengths ftw! As stated above.. awesome header, high quality, and they give great power.
This is what I have on mine. I believe the part number is 1650S or 1650SJS. They are great in my opinion. You can also get a JBA H pipe that is designed to work with them. All the components are stainless.

I have a MD clutch cable so long tubes were out of the question.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:43 AM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

are you running stock clutch setup with stock z bar ????
Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 AM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

well we just ordered a set of Hi-Po manifold and a Hi-Po z bar ,, dont know if we need to the z bar or not i can send it back if not needed .. we will see i guess

thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 11:53 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Long tube headers will provide the best performance with tri-ys, equal-length, and shortys being somewhere in between long tubes and a manifold. FWIW, I run long tubes with PS and MT with very little issue. I had to clearance (ding) one header tube to clear a linkage, but really not a big issue. There is not much room to work in there, but it all fits. That is on a '69 though...what year model are you working on?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:43 PM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

yeap sounds like us , we are working on a 65 coupe with PS,,PB and we swap the auto for a 4 speed added all the stuff in and it works fine ,, we did nt like the Tri-y at all we had to ding that header alot so that the pitman are would give us room to steer , and had to raise the motor about a 1" too , so we went with manifold from a Hi-Po and see if it works ,,
Old 07-21-2009, 01:09 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I think the Hi Po manifolds are a good way to go for a stock or near stock motor. Even if its worked a little they will do fine. I will also say that if the car is a daily driver then manifolds are the way to go for stock or close to it setups.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

you know anything about the 2 different types of bushing for the z-bar stock and Hi-Po one ,, i am guessing that you have to use the hi-po bushing with the hi-po zbar ,, but do you have to use all that with the hi-po manifold ?????? or can you just use the manifold by its self ??
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
lilrobo
1st Gear Member

well we got the manifolds on and we had to use the hi-po bar and to change the bushing a little and all in all i think its ok we are going to get the pipes put on tomorrow,, i hope everything goes ok there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers or Exhaust