Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pulsation / Vibration only when turning right

Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
JC6715

Default Pulsation / Vibration only when turning right

My 67 Coupe is driving again. All steering components are brand new and everything is tightened to spec. I've done the granada swap and converted my PS to MS with one of the control valve delete adapters and I have the good "roller" (gusher bearing) idler arm.

I am getting a pulsation when turning right only. Doesn't do it when straight or turning left. And it doesn't have to be an actual turn, even if the steering wheel is turning towards the right "riding" a road rut it will do it.

I first thought wheel bearings not properly preloaded because it's only doing it on one side, so I checked them both and both are good (and brand new to boot)...

I am at a loss as everything is new (save for the steering box) and tight.

Any ideas ladies and gents?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

is it something you feel or do you only hear it?
if you feel it does it change with speed?
what happens if you steer all the way to the left and start driving a circle then turn slightly to the right?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
JC6715

Originally Posted by kalli
is it something you feel or do you only hear it?
if you feel it does it change with speed?
what happens if you steer all the way to the left and start driving a circle then turn slightly to the right?

I just feel it in the steering wheel, can't actually hear anything.

I've noticed it seems to get a little better the faster I go, but not much better.

Haven't gone in a full circle left, but from what I've noticed at any point when I even start hinting to the right I can feel the vibration. You think it could still be the bearings?

When I say Granada swap I mean the CSRP discs... Did you run into any problems with your swap?

Last edited by JC6715; 07-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

You've described a tire belt issue. Swap tires side to side and see if it changes to the other direction or goes away completely.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
JC6715

Originally Posted by KMatch
You've described a tire belt issue. Swap tires side to side and see if it changes to the other direction or goes away completely.
I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I agree, could very well be a bad tire.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
JC6715

Originally Posted by Starfury
I agree, could very well be a bad tire.
I bought the tires (BFG g-Force sports) new about 2.5 to 3 years ago, run them for a year then they sat, off the car, until about 3 months ago.

Could a tire go bad that quickly?

Never had a problem with them before...
Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Tires can come off the shelf bad, tires can be damaged from curbs and potholes, they can get flat spots from sitting... Yep, time isn't always a factor. Don't go and buy a set, yet. We're still hunting for the problem. If the issue changes or improves, hunt for tires or swap with the rear, if not, we'll keep looking for the problem.

To be clear - this went FROM power to MANUAL steering, right? Cuz what you describe can also happen as a shudder in power steering systems.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
JC6715

Originally Posted by KMatch
To be clear - this went FROM power to MANUAL steering, right? Cuz what you describe can also happen as a shudder in power steering systems.

Gotcha... Correct, I converted from Power to Manual. Got tired of the floating and loose feeling of the power. Was having the same problem when the steering was power. It was one of the deciding factors to go Manual as I though it was a PS shudder too...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
JC6715

--UPDATE--

Switch to a different set of front tires. Did the exact same thing.

Took it out and drove the full circle and the second I started turning the wheel to the left, the pulsation kicked in.

I also noticed that while going uphill while turning, the pulsation seemed to be A LOT less. Weight transferred to the back? Think it's bearings?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulsation / Vibration only when turning right