Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bizzare starter issues! Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM
MDCCCCLXVI-Ragtop

Hi cdeck,
You're correct in that the problems all started when I replaced that first starter several weeks back. The new cable I ran to the starter was brand new and in perfect condition, the connections are good and tight, and it goes thru two rubber-lined loops on its way to the starter but doesn't touch anything else anywhere. I'm just really baffled by this whole, frustrating mess.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 PM
MDCCCCLXVI-Ragtop

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
BTW, to indicate 1966 with Roman numerals, it is MCMLXVI, not MDCCCCLXVI. Just so you know.
You are certainly correct as far as modern usage of Roman numerals go, but in ancient usage (I'm an avid student of Roman history) either is considered correct although your usage was probably more widespread. In Rome many of the older buildings have the date of construction carved into them and you'll quite often find four of the same digits in a row. In general though, I would have to agree that your way is MORE correct and much more widespread. Thanks for double-checking me.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I don't know wheree the 32v is coming from...that just doesn't seem possible. Next time it does it, I would disconnect the "s" term wire and see if it quits. If not, I think you have china syndrome. (cheap chinese relay with weak spring)

Don't over think it.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
MDCCCCLXVI-Ragtop

[QUOTE=kalli;6381757]Erin ... :-) i'm actually German, just living here. Love it though

Deutschland go bragh...? Hmm. Just doesn't have the same ring to it. Help me out here. What's a good slogan for for expressing German national pride? I also have some German blood in me as well as Irish. --Kyle Moritz
Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
MDCCCCLXVI-Ragtop

OK, Kalli,
I disconnected the wire to the "S" terminal and started the engine 8 or 10 times by jumping the "S" to the battery side. So far it hasn't had any problems. Usually it would have acted up by now, but not necessarily. I'm going to use the car to run a bunch of errands today and continue to start it by jumping the terminals. We'll see what happens and I'll let you know.

Again, thanks for all your help. --K
Old 07-30-2009, 02:15 PM
MDCCCCLXVI-Ragtop

I guess I should also mention that I bent both ends of the starter cable to make them further away from anything. Neither side was touching anything other than what they were supposed to, but they were kind of close.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM
MDCCCCLXVI-Ragtop

Well, it would appear that the wire going to the "S" terminal is the culprit. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem since I disconnected it. Thanks to all of you for everyone's help. ...Now to figure out what to do about it.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I know where the 32 V is coming from...

When the starter is "stuck", it ain't a starter anymore, it is now a big *** GENERATOR...

(big enough to burn battery cables in half and KILL YOU...)

I have guests, I will be back with this later!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

--->I have guests, I will be back with this later!
in my case you wouldn't hear from me for two days because I usually have to drink with them *g*

just what JMD said, that's what I assumed at the very very start as well.
starter turning into generator.
But since the problem is gone when jumping without the cable going to 'S', I'm quite sure it is somewhere in the 'S' cabling.

Do you have manual or auto?

If manual, you should only have one single cable there going directly (through socket in firewall) to the ignition switch

If auto it takes the same route but passes the neutral safety switch at gearbox (so you can't start in gear). check on that cable, worst case replace.

Maybe JMD has some great insight on what exactly you did connect it to, or what went wrong (but I never heard of anyone being killed by 12V coming from a car battery (or 32V for that matter).
Old 07-31-2009, 05:46 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

When a starter turns an engine for starting, it turns the engine at roughly 200 RPM. The starter does this at the required 12V of "Pressure", and a few hundred amps "flow".

When an engine is idling at say about 600 RPM, the starter (when stuck) would be turning at about 3 times "12V Speed", making about 36 V. and still a few hundred amps potential, not imminently dangerous..

Ok, now imagine the engine turning at 2,000 RPM, 10 times 200 RPM, now we are talking about 120 V with several hundred amps potential... This is dangerous.

Many years ago my dad had an 81 Lincoln with a 302, the starter stuck but he didn't notice until he had driven about 2 miles. when he go to his destination, most of what was left of the starter FELL OFF of the car. Upon inspection, the battery cable was melted in half.

It takes a pretty good current to melt a 0 gage cable, certainly more than enough to be lethal.

I contend that a stuck starter has the potential to be lethal.

Oh, the car was NEVER right electrical after that....