Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What did i do to my mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 AM
jonm1a1
2nd Gear Member

Default What did i do to my mustang

I have a 65 coupe with a 289 4bl that was rebuilt a year ago and i finially got it installed and running the end of may. I drove it about 3000 miles before i got on it hard. Yesterday I was just reving it up to listen to it. gray Smoke came out the back also it has been running rich to me cause i could smell it all the time.
Later that day I revved it up again and then started hearing a ticking in my Engine. Doesnt sound like like a hard knocking but but a ticking maybe toward the front of the engine. Could it be out of timing? and also it is running like crap.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

What transmission?

Have you checked the oil for contamination?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a rocker arm came loose. Pull the valve covers to check.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:01 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

You really should have gotten onto that motor a little more after your build so that your rings would seat. After my ititial break in at about 150 miles of driving nicely, I took her out one day and just got on the interstate and would get off at every exit and then just get right back on making sure I got into the throttle while speeding down the ramp.. It seemed to work well. I did that every now and then until I was around 1200 miles on the motor and everything seemed to be finally broken in and running the way it should.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
jonm1a1
2nd Gear Member

i checked the oil it had nothing in it i was thinking gas might be in it but i was glad to see it was all good. Took a papertowel tube and put it on the valve cover and 2 guys agreed with me it sounds like the second lifter is hitting.
I drove it on a 900 mile trip from ohio to here thought thhat was a good break in 70 on those interstate.
i will take the valve covers off and look at them it has comp roller arms on it not really sure how those get tighten. How do i tighen them?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

the lifter must be on the base circle of the cam lobe. You tighten while spinning the push rod. Once all the slack is taken up (when you feel resistance when spinning the push rod) turn an additional quarte to half turn. You can tell the location of the lifter on the cam by finding #1 top dead center and workign from there. You really need a shop manual or other source for what lifters are where in the rotation of the crank.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 AM
jonm1a1
2nd Gear Member

I took the valve cover off and 2 of my rocker arms where real loose i am going to take it to the shop and let them do it because by what i was reading i need to take the intake off and turn the engine to get the lifters where i need them to start to tighten them down.

Does this sound right?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

You may be able to move the rockers back and forth a little if they are or near the base of rthe lobe. What you should have though is no play between the push rod and the rocker. The lifters are preloaded. THat means that they are partially compressed when the rockers are adjusted. Therefore, if you try to twist there should be resistance and no up and down motion between the push rod and the rocker. Not positive, but I believe you can adjust without removing the intake. You just need the appropriate sequence from the manual. And, you need to be able to locate TDC for cylider #1 on the compression stroke.

Another idea. Since you have the valve cover off, you can just sit it on the heads, start the engin and lift the VC off slowly. You should be able to isolate the one that is making noise. Also check that all are getting oil up to the rocker. All should have a steady supply to the rockers.

If you can determine which is making the noise, you can try tightening a quarter turn or so and see if it goes away. If you are a novice, I do not recomend this. Better leaving it to the pros.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:36 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

To adjust your rockers, get it to TDC #1 compression stroke. Adjust cyl #1 rockers (both) by spinning the pushrods as you tighten it down. When you encounter resistance, go another 1/2 turn (tighter). Then rotate the engine 1/4 turn and do the next cylinder in the firing order. Then 1/4 turn and do the next cyl in the firing order, and so on. By the time you've made 2 complete rotations of the engine you should be done.

I fear you've rounded off the cam though, you did use the proper lube on the cam and preoil it before starting, didn't you???