Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How much rust is too much

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 AM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy How much rust is too much

Hey Guys-

Its been at least 3 years since I been in this forum, but its good to be back. I bought a project car (67 fastback) about 5 years ago and with all the excitement I purchased it without really looking at the extent of the damage(stupid).

From the day that I bought it and stripped it down to bare bone. I quickly realized I had a huge project on my hands. The framerails were rusted through (front and back). The quarter panels, floor boards, rocker panels were not spared from rust either. Although I saw this as a huge challenge I still tried to keep my hopes up. I went out and purchased the factory weld manual, new rails, and new mig welder.

I got side tracked due to work, family, school etc. ( you know how it goes) for a long while and it just sat. I was enthusiastic about getting on the project again. I overlooked the project and seen more rust where I hoped I would never find it.

After peeling off the headliner which seemed pretty clean, I saw that there was rust in the areas above the passanger and driver side in an area I can assume a sandblaster wont reach. Also after removing the panels behind the passanger and driver side door(the inside opposite the quarter panels) I seen rust in those hidden areas too.

Is there any way to tackle this rust or is this a lost cause?? I know there's the option of chemically dipping the car, but who has the money for that. Everything else I was optimistic about tackling because I would be able to reach it but this I really wasnt expecting.

Ive tried to keep a positive attitude about really getting into this project, but i think im just going on pure emotion and not thinking clearly now.

This is why I come to you with your suggestions, insight, and wisdom.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

well can you post some pics of the troubled area. Also how severe is the rust? is it surface rust or is it deep into the metal.

It also really depends on how bad you want to undertake it. You said you are busy with lots of other stuff in your life. You may want to cut your losses and find a new project with less sophisticated issues.You have just as much of a time delema as you have a amount of work dilema!

How much do you have into the car already not including the tools? Now is the time buy if your looking for a different project.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 AM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I admit I did put this project aside for a long while, but my intent was always to get back on it. Its not that im looking for a easy project, I just want to make sure I dont pour so much money into this project only to find out too late.

here are a few of pics.
Attached Thumbnails How much rust is too much-100_4424.jpg   How much rust is too much-100_4425.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 AM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

another pic here.

Is there a way to tackle this rust? Has it spread too far for repair? What alternatives do I have besides chemical dip?
Attached Thumbnails How much rust is too much-100_4427.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Most of it looks like surface rust. Not to major. You can sandblast what you can then POR it!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 AM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Billy, the rust looks pretty minor but sandblast it to get a better idea on how deep it really is. Do you have the other rust spots repaired already?

Oh BTW: It's never a lost cause LOL
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 AM
cfd2bc
2nd Gear Member

I agree with 1965 screamer. It is never a lost cause, it is just a question of how much you want to do and spend. If you are doing all of the work that is one thing, shipping it out for someone else to do would be very expensive. Again dooable, but but would it be too much? Your call....When I bought mine, which was a complete basket case (see links), I more or less knew what I was getting in to. There were some surprises. I did all of the work from start to finish so it was just my time and parts costs. Plus I LOVE doing it. It is like therapy for me!

As for the rust removal, I agree with Monsterbilly on the blasting and POR. I would get it plastic/ glass beaded or soda though instead of sand. It is a better media for auto panels. Around here I can get an entire car done for 1400.00 inside and out.

Good luck with the decision.
Jeff
Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cfd2bc
As for the rust removal, I agree with Monsterbilly on the blasting and POR. I would get it plastic/ glass beaded or soda though instead of sand. It is a better media for auto panels. Around here I can get an entire car done for 1400.00 inside and out.
soda won't remove rust and it prevents paint adhesion. I've read that most paint manufacturers will void their warranty if you used soda.

if blasting costs $1400, you should be able to get the car dipped for about the same price? I've heard wildly varying reports of what dipping costs, anywhere from under $1k to over $3k.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Depending on where you live Chem dipping may not even be allowed. Here in NS, Canada they banned it a few years ago due to environmental issues. Sand blasting is best over soda for you however it carries the risk of panel warpage if not done correctly. An even messier option, which is what I did, was to wet-sand blast the car. If you have access to a gas powered pressure washer you can buy an attachment that fits the gun tip and pulls the sand. Most electric pressure washers are not powerful enough. I used 30 100lb bags of sand @ 8.49 a bag which did the entire car taking the rust and 3 coats of paint and the original primer. Took maybe 5 hours.

Be aware however that the wet sand gets in every nook and cranny in the car and takes weeks/months to get out completely. Wet sand sticks! Seems every time we rolled the car on the rotisserie more came out. The rockers were the biggest area to get it out of and its simply rinse, heat, rinse, heat, etc until they are clean.

Its definitely not for everyone but it worked out great for me and cost under 350.00 to do.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

It's only too much if you can't handle it or are unwilling. Only seen one ever that was not salvageable. Car was under water for a while. Nothing to weld patch panels to.

Quick Reply: How much rust is too much