Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

PCV hose is sucking oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default PCV hose is sucking oil

My PCV hose is connected to the top of my driver side valve cover and then to the front port on the edelbrock 1406 carb. Right at the connection to the carb there a puddle of oil thats been dripping from the hose. Is this bad that its sucking oil? I mean in the oil then going into my carb? Obviously I've been getting blow by because my rings are pretty worn at 194,000 miles so could that be why its shooting out the hose
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

hmm, have you replaced the valve recently? I don't know PCV valves very well, but there could be something worn out about it that causes oil to get by more easily.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

First question, do you have aftermarket valve covers? Second question, do they have baffles under the pcv and oil fill holes? If not, they need them. If they do, get a new PCV valve and see how that works. If it still sucks up a lot of oil, you may try switching the PCV valve to the front of the d-side valve cover and putting the breather on the back of the p-side. As you accelerate, oil gets pushed to the back of the heads, so keeping the pcv at the front can sometimes help.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Crankcase gas and pressure that is relieved through the evac system often includes oil vapor. That is why people would run a vacuum pump evac system have to run a catch can. As you get more and more crankcase pressure or blowby you will get more and more oil vapor. Yes some oil in the oil vapor will enter the intake and be burned along with the fuel. That is kinda the whole point. When it gets too bad, it can start fouling plugs.

Moving the pcv valve to the front of the valve cover is a good start, but the root cause is blow by. Ultimately you will need to fix the pressure creator or go to the next step of a header bung evac or a vacuum pump system...both of which are really for highend engine solutions or race situations.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
First question, do you have aftermarket valve covers? Second question, do they have baffles under the pcv and oil fill holes? If not, they need them. If they do, get a new PCV valve and see how that works. If it still sucks up a lot of oil, you may try switching the PCV valve to the front of the d-side valve cover and putting the breather on the back of the p-side. As you accelerate, oil gets pushed to the back of the heads, so keeping the pcv at the front can sometimes help.
i have after market valve covers. the pcv is in the driver side front and the breather in on the passenger side read. yes it has a baffle to stop the oil from spitting up into it
Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
As you get more and more crankcase pressure or blowby you will get more and more oil vapor. Yes some oil in the oil vapor will enter the intake and be burned along with the fuel. That is kinda the whole point. When it gets too bad, it can start fouling plugs.
ok that explains alot because my plugs are terribly fouled with oil and couldnt figure out why, never dawned on me that this was why
Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I will not say that is the only reason your plugs are fouled and oily, but it is probably one of them. If you motor is in need or a rebuild, there is a good chance your valve seals are leaking oil too. You can always change the temp of the plug to help burn some of that oil. Frankly, if your compression is crap...I would save up for an engine rebuild including rings, bearing, machining, valve job, valve springs, valve seals, and all new gaskets. Until then try the PCV move and possibly plugs in a temp range that can help burn that oil.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

right now im in the process of building a 331 so that will take care of the rebuild, as ill swap this old 290 with the 331 when its done, i figured the engine was on its last few thousand miles.