Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

clunker bill b.s.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

What I don't understand is why my tax dollars, along with every other American workers tax dollars are being used to by cars manufactured by overseas companies? I don't care if the Toy or Niss is made here, the money eventually winds up in Japan, germany, etc. The bill should have only allowed the purchase of autos made by American owned companies. That excludes Chrysler/Dodge, and GM. Looks like Ford/Lincoln/Mercury are the only company that fits that description.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bodyputtyless
What I don't understand is why my tax dollars, along with every other American workers tax dollars are being used to by cars manufactured by overseas companies? I don't care if the Toy or Niss is made here, the money eventually winds up in Japan, germany, etc. The bill should have only allowed the purchase of autos made by American owned companies. That excludes Chrysler/Dodge, and GM. Looks like Ford/Lincoln/Mercury are the only company that fits that description.
Yeah it really makes me mad... but I believe if they did that, the oversea companies would call it unfair and probably be all pissed off or something. Though if it's the United States government paying us to buy vehicles, I don't see why it would be unfair to make it just apply to American vehicles.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

Its another big "gubment" waste of our money, think about it, you have a perfectly good paid off car and some are hurting for money, all its going to do is create more debt for consumers and keep some auto dealers and auto workers working a bit longer funny how the first real stimulus money to go out subsidises a business that they are in. Next it will be cash for toilets, cash for peanut butter, cash for houses......how the heck does this do anything for our economy? it just helps out the dealers and the UAW and they are waY OVERPAID. That privacy thing is true, once you apply the "gubment" knows everything about you and takes more control of your life.......What a JOKE ! they figuered a few billion on this bill and they were way wrong, they figure 1.5 trillion on "gubment" healthcare imagine what it will really cost........Those few with OBAMA stickers still on their cars.....I cringe when I see one. This so called administration is about as transparent as a brick wall.

Last edited by htwheelz67; 08-01-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:48 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302

And just so you know....

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THE CARS.GOV SITE TO CHECK OUT THE CASH FOR CLUNKERS PROGRAM. If you click the link to apply for the rebate(primarily done by dealers) you have to agree to the privacy act statement, which then causes a message to pop up saying something to the effect of "This computer is now connected to a government database and is therefore classified as a government computer system and is therefore property of the United States Government, and all information on, transmitted to and transmitted from this computer is US government property." Nice little end run around the 4th Amendment.

Sorry, but this is just not true. There is no such warning. The internet is full of legends and this is one of them. The government will not "own" any private computers or the data on them. Some government web sites do have a warning that you are connected to federally protected computer system and that attempts to interfere with that system carry harsh penalties, more severe than interfering with "ordinary" computer systems. However, there are a great many privately owned computers also classified as federally protected. For example, computers used for banking. This originates with the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1984.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Accept when that warning pops up and you click "accept," at which point you have agreed to those terms. I don't see why people wouldn't believe this...I mean seriously, the US Supreme Court has ruled that Eminent Domain covers the government forcing one private owner to sell their land in order to transfer it to a more wealthy private owner(Kelo Vs. City of New London, 2005) for the purposes of land development by a private developer.

One of the biggest problems though is that the realm of the internet is still very gray under the law.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

when the computer fraud act of 1984 was enacted, they didn't have spyware, tracking cookies, malware or anything like we have today, my cellphone has 1000 times more power than any giant computer made in 84, this is no internet bs, I saw it for myself......
Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I don't get why they have bailed everyone out.Gm is the 2nd largest auto marker in the world if your going broke your spending it wrong.Chrysler we bailed out back in the 70s why not let them go under this time?Ford has had hard times but they didn't need a bail out.We have two ford plants in louisville ky one is f350 up the other is explorer 2 years ago they cut back to one shift at both then have shut both down a month or two at a time.I don't care how much they are gonna pay me you can't give me most new cars after the problems i seen on them.Only thing gm i would buy is a g8 its a holden so its been made a while and rwd.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by htwheelz67
when the computer fraud act of 1984 was enacted, they didn't have spyware, tracking cookies, malware or anything like we have today, my cellphone has 1000 times more power than any giant computer made in 84, this is no internet bs, I saw it for myself......
Don't want to raise your hackles but here you go. Posted today on Snopes.com. Urban legend, internet rumor, misinterpretation, call it what you will. Still not true. The cell phone part was kind of unrelated but since you brought it up, the processing power, multi-user capabilities, and storage of the common IBM, Burroughs and Sperry (Burroughs and Sperry merged into Unisys in 1986) mainframes of 1984 would eat any phone made today alive.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/clunkers.asp
Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bodyputtyless
I agree, but I think they shouldn't be wasting tax dollars like this anyway.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Hey, I got an email from my friend about this. I thought you should watch it. I think this is rediculous. I wouldn't go to that website. Why would these guys be talking about it if it wasn't true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOBl...layer_embedded

Last edited by tx65coupe; 08-04-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Reply: clunker bill b.s.