Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

overheating / coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:41 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Default overheating / coolant leak

Yikes, I swear, it's something different every day.

I was driving home in the 200+ degree weather today in east texas, and the car started to get a little warm (220F). When I pulled it into the garage, I noticed some coolant dripping onto the floor, ended up being about 1/4 quart. I traced the leak to a point a couple inches above the fuel pump, I cant trace it up anymore than that.

About 30 minutes ago, I warmed it up to temperature in the garage, and had a consistant drip, but not as bad as earlier.

Could it be the water pump leaking?

Needless to say, the dogs arent sleeping in the garage until I get the mess cleaned up.

Thanks,
Allen
Old 07-05-2005, 11:45 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: overheating / coolant leak

It's a good chance it's a water pump. The fan is probably blowing the antifreeze around to the side.

You want to also look to see if there are any pinholes in the lower radiator hose.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

There is what is called a "weep" hole up inside the nose covered by the pulley. When the seal starts to leak that is where the coolant will come out, then dribble down the front of the engine. If you remove the fan and pulley and see coolant leaking from this hole, there really is no fix other than replacing the water pump. I hear Kool-Flow makes a real nice high volume water pump. But as long as your car is working well as it is, my bet would be the local Napa store.

BTW: this would be a good oportunity to switch away from an Ethylene Glycol based coolant to help keep your best friends safe. If you do, make sure to drain the block and flush the whole system out. You do not want to mix the different types of coolant.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:24 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Scott, you have all the answers. I need someone like you as a neighbor to come help me fix the old stang when she breaks.

Im taking it into my mechanic tomorrow morning. I dont have time or patience to replace the water pump. The car is my daily driver, so I cant really do without it.

Thanks,

Allen