Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fixing up my steering... what parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Fixing up my steering... what parts?

SO it looks like I won't have enough money to afford all new suspension until maybe december or so, but I DO need to fix my steering. There is way too much play in my steering and want to be sure I get the right parts to take out as much play as I can. What do I need?

As far as I know I need inner and outer tie rods and the idler arm. Do I NEED the adjustment sleeves too? Or are those reusable? They're inexpensive though so if its best to get new ones of those too I can.

What else has to do with play in the steering? ball joints? other bushings?

Basically I'm just looking for a kit to get rid of the steering issues, I can deal with the excessive suspension height later

So should I just get the tie rods and some sort of bushing kit? Any points in the right direction will be great, thanks!

EDIT: and I'm not going to be replacing my steering box, it's fine as far as I know and I already took out half of the play by adjusting the box itself. And my car has PS (for now, still giving me problems)

Last edited by 4reboy; 08-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

If the sleeves are not badly rusted, just clean and re-use them.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
If the sleeves are not badly rusted, just clean and re-use them.
ok cool, I think mine are just dirty from what I saw, that'll save me $20.

anyone else have input? both tie rods, idler arm, and what else? ball joints? bushings?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Tie rods and idler arm are the big ones. Ball joints and control arm bushings are part of the suspension, so wait until December and just do it all at once.

I thought I remembered something about you possibly switching to manual steering. If you do, this is a good time to get a new center link and pitman. A roller idler is also an option.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Some play is normal, have you tried adjusting the nut on the box? Do you have power steering?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rst08tierney
Some play is normal, have you tried adjusting the nut on the box? Do you have power steering?
You must be very careful when doing this, use the procedure in the service manual. Overtightening the sector gear preload can damage the gearbox.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:36 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Look for "looseness", and then replace as needed...

Ball joints and bushings are really pretty easy to change.

Just a dirty nasty job and you will need an alignment when you get done.

AND,,,, IMO, once you change ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings, you already HAVE new suspension....

Last edited by JMD; 08-02-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:29 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

rst08tierney, I said that I have PS and adjusted the steering box in my original post. The steering box adjustment I did 2 years ago or so took about half the play out, the rest I'm told is in my suspension/steering.

JMD, you have a good point. If I do the ball joints, bushings, and tie rods now it will at least perform properly, even if the heights don't look the best. I mainly just want it safer to drive right, looks are down the list.

I'm trying to keep a budget within 250 bucks, real low on cash (especially after having to buy a new battery and other parts I was not looking forward to). It looks like ball joints are around 100 bucks for all four.. (there are 4 right?? haha) which is bad news for me lol.

What other bushings need to be replaced after the idler arm, tie rods, and ball joints are replaced? Any good kits out there?

More questions, to replace the ball joints do I need a coil spring compressor? or do I just have to take off the brakes... Suspension is about the only thing I'm new to on my car haha. If I need a compressor I might just wait until I can at least afford new coils.

Thanks all for the advice so far

EDIT: oh and tad, yeah I might switch, but right now I'm just trying to get my P/S cylinder to work. I got a replacement finally and it didn't leak at all from the hoses which is great, but now the problem is it leaking on the other end of the cylinder at the boot. I'm totally fed up with the P/S system and want to take that 200 something bucks and file it under sunk costs and just convert it to get it over with. The good news is the new cylinder feels great on the road, better than all the other 5 I've gone through problem after problem. I just need to try to fix this other leak, if it's a no go then I'll figure out what I want to do.

Last edited by 4reboy; 08-03-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

bump I now someone has more info
Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Unless your ball joints and control arm bushings are really, really bad, leave them until later this year when you can afford springs, control arms, and roller perches. Jon's looking at doing the same thing fairly soon. As soon as Cuesta opens up their open lab, I should be able to pull your cars in one at a time and get everything knocked out. Cuesta has all the necessary tools, and I've got the Shelby drop template and drill bit. And yes, you do need a coil spring compressor to replace the ball joints.

Quick Reply: Fixing up my steering... what parts?