Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
kadumel

Default Introduction

Hello -

Apprahently (I can't spell that word btw) I have logged in here before, but I believe this is my first time posting. Wanted to give my introduction and my cars introduction real fast.

25, have been into cars for years now but this is my first classic, first time doing this much work as well.

1966 Mustang Coupe, original owner since 1966, 289 2bbl with 3 speed manual, I got it from father-in-law. He had only put 75k original miles on it, tried to have it restored in 1993, but only drove it about 250 miles after that. Got the original 289 semi-running, needed a carb rebuild to keep it there but instead of wasting time messing with the 289 I bought a 302 roller block, some GT-40 heads, and a fresh rebuilt T5 tranny with upgraded bearings. Got the bellhousing as well.

I am doing all of the work that I possibly can myself, the car has never been in a wreck or anything.

I am planning on putting in a stock crank, a performance cam, forged pistons, and forged rods, putting a set of 1.6 roller rockers on top and putting the T5 behind it. I still have the original 289 and 3 speed manual from the car, I am going to be selling those to help fund some of the work I am going to do to get it running. I never plan on selling the car so resale value is worthless to me, it is actually still the father-in-laws car by title so it will definitely stay in the family. Also got a F4B intake that I got with the block that I am selling btw. : )

Anyway, was wondering if anyone here has a similar set up and if they have any advice on salvaging any of the components I currently have and using them with the new set-up. I have heard that the 3-speeds tranmission mounting is not that difficult, just a cross member is needed. I have heard differing stories on whether or not the oil pan and any of the accessories are usable with the roller 302.

I will try to post up some pics later.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum! Where are you in Texas? My build is pretty much like you describe yours. Oil pan should work with the 302, not sure about accessories.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
kadumel

Here in Mansfield near Dallas / Fort Worth.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM
kadumel

TexasAxMan, are you using a roller motor or the early 302?

Did you buy a new crossmember and yoke? What else did you need when installing?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like a fun project, make sure to keep us posted with your progress.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:05 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

1966 Mustang Coupe, original owner since 1966, 289 2bbl with 3 speed manual, I got it from father-in-law. He had only put 75k original miles on it, tried to have it restored in 1993, but only drove it about 250 miles after that. Got the original 289 semi-running, needed a carb rebuild to keep it there
The 289 and 302 are virtually the same engine, and yours was probably still in very good shape. I hope you kept it somewhere.

but instead of wasting time messing with the 289 I bought a 302 roller block, some GT-40 heads, and a fresh rebuilt T5 tranny with upgraded bearings. Got the bellhousing as well.
An easy conversion. You'll need a bracket for the engine to mount the clutch equalizer, as the later engine lacks the boss to attach the pivot without it.

I am planning on putting in a stock crank, a performance cam, forged pistons, and forged rods, putting a set of 1.6 roller rockers on top and putting the T5 behind it. I still have the original 289 and 3 speed manual from the car, I am going to be selling those to help fund some of the work I am going to do to get it running. I never plan on selling the car so resale value is worthless to me, it is actually still the father-in-laws car by title so it will definitely stay in the family.
It'll never be original again without the original engine and trans. Considering the small value of these items, you're better off keeping them.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone here has a similar set up and if they have any advice on salvaging any of the components I currently have and using them with the new set-up. I have heard that the 3-speeds tranmission mounting is not that difficult, just a cross member is needed.
You'll need a special T5 trans crossmember.

I have heard differing stories on whether or not the oil pan and any of the accessories are usable with the roller 302.
Oil pan, oil pump, timing cover, etc. can all be used on the 5.0, with the exception of the harmonic balancer. Like I said, they were practically the same engine. You'll also need to use the 5.0 flywheel.

The 5.0 and 289 are so close you can easily dress the 5.0 to look original, only an expert could catch the substitution.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I have the crossmember and yoke, but I'll use my C4 yoke instead and probably sell the T5 yoke. You can use the T5 bell and your z-bar with a fulcrum spacer and your original clutch arm. As 2+2GT said, you'll need a bracket to be able to attach the z-bar to the engine. BTW, mine is a '68 302, not a newer roller motor.

My car is still a shell with just suspension, I have purchased nearly everything I'll need to assemble after paint. The engine is done and on a stand next to the car, just rebuilt my T5 last Friday. I've got a little floorpan work to do then it's time to concentrate on getting it ready for paint. Unfortunately I have very little time as my company is currently being sold and I'm the Controller so I pretty much have to stay involved every step of the way.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
kadumel

I still have the original engine as I said but I am going to sell it. No sense is cluttering up the garage.

You said the timing cover can still be used - I am trying to figure out how. It is a roller block 302, it is not the early style 302.

Also, the oil pump is running off of the cam right? How would it be actuated in a roller block?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:26 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kadumel
I still have the original engine as I said but I am going to sell it. No sense is cluttering up the garage.

You said the timing cover can still be used - I am trying to figure out how. It is a roller block 302, it is not the early style 302.

Also, the oil pump is running off of the cam right? How would it be actuated in a roller block?
The "roller" 302 is externally identical to the earlier version. The only real difference is the roller motor is fitted with a roller cam. The timing cover fits perfectly. The oil pump is driven by the distributor, not the cam. In later 5.0, without a distributor, the cam position sensor drive does the job, but physically they are all interchangeable. Really. If the 5.0 was set up for electric fuel pump, you will need to add a fuel pump eccentric to the front of the cam. No biggie.

This is a Ford Racing 5.0 "crate motor" (Ford Racing M-6007-XB3 - GT-40X alum. heads, B303 camshaft) installed in a 67 Mustang with stock 67 timing cover, fuel pump, pulleys, and brackets:

Last edited by 2+2GT; 08-07-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:30 PM
kadumel

Awesome thanks man!