Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

Default fuel tank sump for efi

I got a great deal on a powerjection 1 for my 408, anyone sump their tank for efi? Iwas looking at this.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...3/?image=large

I'd have to buy a 3/8 sending unit at the least and this could be a better option.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
gothand
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 2+2 & 2011 GT

FWIW, I'm using a 20-gallon tank with a single external pump and no sump and haven't had a problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Good luck welding that on your gas tank you better let it air out for a few days.Jamesw has a inline pump on his stock tank and it runs fine for him.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT Premium

For an EFI installation, that sort of sump would probably benefit tremendously from having some sort of baffling added. You need to keep fuel available to the EFI pump's suction port under ALL conditions, otherwise the engine will stumble or even quit entirely. Depending on the shape of the tank, when the fuel level gets low the sump in the link is probably at its best during acceleration (probably intended that way). But not so good for cornering, and likely poor while braking since the fuel will slosh away from it.

EFI does not put up with momentary loss of fuel being delivered from its pump very well - there is no "ready reserve" of fuel like you have in a carb float bowl to cover for it (unless you build something similar to a float bowl into the system yourself, which would require a second pump to keep it filled - BTDT).

Norm

'95 626/V6/5MT (still in the family but not at this address)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang

That's the same sump kit I have on my car. I had it professionally tig'd and baffled. I picked up a new tank, which cost less than the sump kit.

Click the image to open in full size.

68 Fastback "J" code - Some bolt-ons under the hood, backed up by a T56 and built 9"
04 GT Daily Fo...6 5 spd
coolhnd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 and 08 Mustang

Do it pretty often here with EFI conversions. Usually a new tank, sending unit seald exit so it doesn't leak and sump.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to try it as is, I can always sump it later....look what showed up a couple hours ago...barely used powerjection for a killer deal, I tell you those cobra guys have lots of money, the guy I bought it from used it for 2 months and decideded he wanted stacked weber style efi.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerjection 007.jpg (18.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 and 08 Mustang

It'll work for sure. Have a customers car that has his EFI pump through the stock pickup, and return in the drain. But he doesn't have the HP you will. That's where YOU will need to be careful.More power, more G's pushing the fuel away from pickup.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Do it once. I have used that sump and had no problems except, I did run out of gas once, but it sucked "ALL" the gas out. With no sump and baffle there will be strumbles with the engine.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
03, 65, aluminum, baffle, efi, fox, fuel, kit, make, mustang, sending, sump, sumped, tank, unit